Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I'm not sure... Nothing that tall. I might try some needle leaf java. I have plenty of that and it's low light so it should do well in that little nook. Why do you have a suggestion?

So things aren't always perfect... anyone know what algae this is forming on the leaves and rocks? It's getting quickly annoying.

Is it green dust, GDA, and/or green spot, GSA?

If so... how do I correct it?

img_2720132_0_339656f246c3f639de9e369cfc00294b.png

img_2720132_1_8b4df32a3d3455f7edafba5c3f17c145.png

img_2720132_2_099bebc4ffff7d81c04607dfb6962c86.png

Thanks in advance for the help.

UG growing nuts under these lights! :)

Almost have a full carpet from small clumps of UG. I recall planting it looking all whitish like coleslaw... I'm impressed as this is my first go at this plant and lighting. :)

First planted just over a month ago:
img_2724713_0_21232f83843ed3296e931a01d59311d3.png

As of tonight:
jpvW4QIyZ8u5E.jpg

Awesome! You have the gift my friend. The tank is a masterpiece. I loved the video. OS.

Thanks, OS! So Brian.... some of the AR mini is getting taller. What's the best way to trim? Do I snip the tops and replant those? Or do I pull the plant up, and replant the tops (getting rid of the bottom)?

Thanks, OS! So Brian.... some of the AR mini is getting taller. What's the best way to trim? Do I snip the tops and replant those? Or do I pull the plant up, and replant the tops (getting rid of the bottom)?

I've gone to just snipping and replanting. Often when you snip the tops off you'll see you can just pull apart each little stem with roots to make individual plants. It works really well.

Are you still having the algae problems from a few posts back? I've seen that on plants that are just establishing themselves and are growing slower than they normally would. I've found in the long run it's easiest to pull up the plant, cut off the non-algae tops and replant. If that isn't an option you can try the H2O2 spot treatment but I found it took multiple treatments to make it disappear. So you can mess with it or save yourself a headache and do the cut and replant method. I honestly think it's some weird algae that is more in the GSA family. There are many different types of algae that we see but don't know the name of. If it's bad on the rocks I'd remove them, hit them with straight H2O2, let them sit 20 minutes, scrub them off, then retreat with the H2O2 again before adding back to the tank. Then see where your nitrates and phosphates are at. Also up your Glut or CO2.

Thanks, Janis... yes, I still have that GSA looking algae... I have yet to implement steps to fight it. I'm going to increase the PO4 and K. I'm also going to get some nerites, Amanos, and a couple of more Otos.

See the green on the bottoms :(

img_2726185_0_15c9083a16036b10200c01d7d38956ce.jpg

My AR mini has the same type of spot algae on their lower, oldest leaves. My AR got too dense and slowed down some. I trimmed off the bottoms and replanted the tops. This increased the spacing between them and they started growing faster and redder again. This plant is so stable in that the older leaves last a long time. On these old leaves is where I see this algae slowly accumulate. I nicknamed it old leaf algae. Mine doesn't migrate to anything else and the nerites and ottos like to nibble on it. Weird stuff and really hard to completely eliminate. As long as it doesn't take over very much I kinda like the patina it gives the tank. Brian, your AR mini looks really good! Works great with your other plants. (OS)

My AR mini has the same type of spot algae on their lower, oldest leaves. My AR got too dense and slowed down some. I trimmed off the bottoms and replanted the tops. This increased the spacing between them and they started growing faster and redder again. This plant is so stable in that the older leaves last a long time. On these old leaves is where I see this algae slowly accumulate. I nicknamed it old leaf algae. Mine doesn't migrate to anything else and the nerites and ottos like to nibble on it. Weird stuff and really hard to completely eliminate. As long as it doesn't take over very much I kinda like the patina it gives the tank. Brian, your AR mini looks really good! Works great with your other plants. (OS)

Thanks, OS! Haha... I like that algae name, "old leaf algae." So this OLA is in my crosshairs. I'm going to start focusing on correcting it soon. I just finished killing off some BGA. And yes, your mini AR that you RAOK'd to me is so amazing! I absolutely love it. My GF really likes it too. All made possible by your perseverance to get it over here from across the pond. Thanks again, OS!

Here's a mini update... my tank needs a trim and sprucing up a bit. I have to ask myself, why did I put sand in front of the AS? Haha... have to tediously remove the rabbit poop substrate from the sand. Oh well, labor of love.

Here's a picture as of tonight. I'll do a cleanup this weekend. Anyways, the UG is super lush! S. Repens are growing super compact. AR mini staying nice and red... could be deeper red, but would probably need high light as opposed to my medium lighting. I must say, I'm really impressed with using two Sat+ lights though!

j2AYnHYe4UveL.jpg

jbSaKLoKIuGo5.jpg

Forgive the algae in the pics, the GSA still needs to be addressed... I'll start the onslaught this weekend ;)

Brian, I love the way you've grouped the plants. Makes each type really stand out but still compliment each other. If you figure out how to eliminate the GSA please share. OS.

Back
Top Bottom