Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Talking Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

Hey AA community, I'm back! After a looong hiatus and moving around a couple of times, I finally settled in my new place and decided to revive my ADA 60p cube garden. Some of you that got to know me through this great hobby can attest to my appreciation and passion for planted tanks. While life got in the way of some fun things I got to spend my free time on, I managed to preserve my love for these mini eco-systems we get to create... hence my return! Too bad I didn't take all this time off to study layout skills. I think my aquascape ability has not improved, unfortunately...but I'll give it a go regardless... LOL

Instead of reviving my old 60+ page thread on this tank (old thread), thought I'd start on a fresh slate here.

So here's the skinny:

Tank: ADA 60p - (17g = 24" X 12" X 14")
Lighting: 2x Ecoxotic E-Series
Filter: (Not Sure Yet)
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia + Sand (Yup, back to the sandy beach front)
Hardscape: Ohko Stone

Plants:
HC
Staurogyne repens
Alternanthera reineckii Mini
**Might add something else in the back. Either Blyxa japonica or a stem plant like Rotala macrandra red or something.

Without further ado, some pics:

Conduit Light Hanger DIY project + Ecoxotic E-Series hanging kit! Dual ramp timer enabled for photoperiod and moonlighting automation

Added faux potted green grass decor on the sides to fill the gap between the tank and wall):

Slight modification to the hardscape... I felt that eventually the smaller Ohko stones were going to get harder to see as the plants grew. So I decided to place a much larger dominant stone. Let the DSM (dry start method) commence!

Thanks for any comments and critiques

Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Very nice. I like the big rock. How long do you let it grow before flooding?

Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

First to reply!!! Welcome back! Looking forward to this build.
I have some Ammania bonsai that I got from Old Scales back in 2013. You could squeeze it in between the stones or place along the back. Holler.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm in!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

I think this will end up being a great scape! I like your scaping and plant placement! Just an idea, but have you ever considered some small-leaved Bucephalandra to place between the rock crevices? I don't know how that'd look in the end though.

Any thoughts on possible fish or inverts?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Very nice. I like the big rock. How long do you let it grow before flooding?
Thanks.. You basically use plants that are capable of growing emersed. With a good nutrient rich substrate and lighting, you can create a humid environment by covering the top with plastic wrap. To sum it up, it's called the dry start method (DSM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
First to reply!!! Welcome back! Looking forward to this build.
I have some Ammania bonsai that I got from Old Scales back in 2013. You could squeeze it in between the stones or place along the back. Holler.
Hey Fresh, yeah that would sound cool. I might have to take you up on that. Maybe when it cools down a bit here tho. I'm not sure how they'd do with our harsh triple digit summers here in AZ in the mail. Crazy, my AR mini, what little I have left, is from the original clippings from OldScales. His legacy continues through our plants.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
I'm in!
Sup Brookster! I lurked a bit on your mancave tank room. I need to skim that again to catch up. Are you breeding any cool dwarf cichlids?
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishenthusiast View Post
I think this will end up being a great scape! I like your scaping and plant placement! Just an idea, but have you ever considered some small-leaved Bucephalandra to place between the rock crevices? I don't know how that'd look in the end though.

Any thoughts on possible fish or inverts?
Thanks.. The plants I have now were just what I had around. I've never kept Bucephalandra before. I've seen them at a LFS a couple years back but they were expensive.. I'll need to search the buy/sell community to see. Are they still pricey? How's care on them? Good suggestion tho. I feel I'm old school and that Pogostemon helferi would be okay too! Guess I need to up my game on plants. Haha
Old 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Thanks.. The plants I have now were just what I had around. I've never kept Bucephalandra before. I've seen them at a LFS a couple years back but they were expensive.. I'll need to search the buy/sell community to see. Are they still pricey? How's care on them? Good suggestion tho. I feel I'm old school and that Pogostemon helferi would be okay too! Guess I need to up my game on plants. Haha

I've seen them go as low as 3-5 dollars a plant actually (Apple Leaf, Green Wave, some Brownie varieties, etc.). Their increasing popularity has decreased the price. Han Aquatics and Junglefowl sell them for nice prices. They are rather easy to care for, but grow slowly. There is a thread on it if you if it interests you (Bucephalandras!).

Downoi seems like a good option! When I had some, I could only get it going once. I look forward to seeing this tank grow in.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Welcome back!

This looks like a great start, and I've long been curious about the dry start method. I shall watch this with eagerness.

Tags
journal, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com