Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Brian sorry for the extra request but once everything is up and running smoothly it'd be really neat just to see a few pics of your DIY C02 set up with a few random tidbits (specific parts used, how long your reactor bottle is lasting, etc). If it's not too much trouble that is! Thanks! :)

No prob... I'm actually using a scaled down version of the typical 2 liter bottle ones. Since I use them on nano tanks, I improvised 1 liter co2 generators. I'm using a smart water bottle:

img_2659658_0_e2ac7361bde7322a812e272ab4a3d7f3.jpg

This one here is using a fluval bubble counter as the gas separator. On my other DIY co2 setup, it's the same except I'm using an Aquatek bubble counter with integrated check valve. I like this bubble counter better because of the built in check valve.

I used this video to help me build my DIY setups. I chose to buy bubble counters rather than DIY them. I'm also using ceramic disk diffusers rather than that modded mini elite.

Here's the recipe I use. I basically 1/2'd everything since my bottle is a 1 liter, rather than the 2. Runs for about 2 weeks before I need to redo the mix. I monitor things with a drop checker. Towards the end of the life of the mix, I'll supplement liquid carbon to compensate for the reduction in co2 getting into the water.

Sitemap - Aquatic Eden

One time I gassed a fish with DIY co2. :lol: I must have used like 10 teaspoons of yeast. Oops. Haha

It's medium light (on the lower end). 30 PAR is enough to even grow a harder plant such as HC. So I'm pretty sure DHG wouldn't be an issue. The blyxa japonica and 'narrow leaf' micro sword can also thrive in these conditions.

Okay. Will this tank look like your 60-F, or kind of different?

What painstaking work to tear down a tank -- even a nano one! The sand was a PITA to remove... thank goodness for a turkey baster. My 12g nano cube looks like a major collectoritis tank! LOL... I moved all my fish and plants to it... Can't wait for these tanks to re-cycle, finish leaching ammonia, or whatever.

ibiNsEr8oS30om.jpg

Last edited:
Got everything nice a clean with a little elbow grease... Then stared scooping the Africana Aqua Soil in. Banked up the substrate to get the nice slopes going. Those "substrate supports" a la plastic placemats came in handy for sure!

i2dNzjH3heHVw.jpg

Now for the hardscape...

Here are the remaining Ohko stone at my disposal. I know it's best to use odd numbers in iwagumi layout so I figure I'll just semi-conceal one in the implementation of the scape.

ijMZrpUyuqwR6.jpg

I don't have time to be too nit-picky with the layout... I hope this is cool for a quick scape. Figured that I'd place the dominant stone on the right.

imd8pKLPimpMU.jpg

Now for some planting... DHG (e. parvula) in the foreground and up the center. Blyxa Japonica on each end in the back. Then the "narrow leaf" micro sword (Lilaeopsis mauritiana) in the center.

iprPCnRZLoSWV.jpg

ibp53sc03soWWj.jpg

I already flooded the tank but it's super cloudy.. I'll take some shots in the afternoon and post.

Time for bed!!! (y)

Following!

Your tanks, and threads, are great :)

BTW, posting at 3:56 AM... you're a madman :blink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom