Bringing my tank back to "normalcy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So it's been a while since I've posted here, probably a few years... anyway, had some kids and stuff since then which left my tank under less care than previously. I basically just did weekly water changes with not much else. I'm finally getting back to the grind however, bought a new filter (fluval 206) and have it running with my old HOB that basically just circulates water at this point. Kept the fluval with almost the same setup as suggested only replacing the carbon in the 3rd tray with 250ml puigen in "the bag"

Anyway, my tank is a 29 gallon fairly heavily planted tank w/ 7 tetras, 2 mollies, and a catfish, have co2 running along with the lights about 12 hours a day. Lights are finnex ray 2. Just moved the co2 diffuser underneath the filter outflow and moved it lower down.it was previously half way up the tank way on the side.

My issue is I'm getting some algae that I'm not sure about and my plants are "ehhhh". I use basically a cap of flourish comprehensive a week and dose kno3 and khpo3 about twice a month. Wondering if anyone can diagnose my plant/algae problems :) . I'd also like a nice "carpet" of grass, but not sure if my lightning is sufficient (did not have luck previously with my zoomed t5ho setup before I replaced that). Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advanced. Really want my tank pretty again!

First pic is current setup. You can see my old HOB which I'll run for a few weeks with my new fluval. Diffuser right underneath output.

Second pic is mystery algae that's gross...

Third pic is hair algae?

Fourth pic is my plant (don't remember what kind..) that used to be nice and pretty red,but now not so much. Alot of my leaves look sickly,but alive.
uploadfromtaptalk1439134447700.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1439134404066.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439134347977.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1439134265640.jpg

Hair algae and BBA.
Maybe even a little cyano?
I am no plant guru but I would consider lowering the lighting period?
12hrs is pretty long IMO?
You may need to adjust ferts co2 and carbon also.
I have killed 2 of those with h202 and glutaraldehyde(carbon source).
Hopefully a real plant guy will help you(and me) out soon.

Welcome back!
First thing to note without seeing the pics is the duration of the photoperiod. You should scale it back to 6-8 hours. In case you enjoy seeing the lights on in the morning and evenings, some timers will allow multiple on/off cycles per day. You could try 2-3 hours on in the AM, off for 3-4 hours, and back on 5-6 hours in the evening. I believe the long duration may explain the algae outbreaks you are seeing. The Ray2 is a strong light.
I don't know what type of algae that is (short, fuzzy, black). I had something similar on a stem plant and could not get rid of it (got rid of the plant). You could try treating with hydrogen peroxide or Seachem Excel and see if that helps.
The short, hair like green algae looks like fuzz algae (not very scientific) as per this link: http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_freshwater_algae.php
The plant shown in the first (or last) pic appears to be Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red'. It is not demanding, light wise. I've grown it successfully under a dual T5NO fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. I really like the idea of staggering my lighting. Already changed my schedule from on 8-11, off 11-2, and on 2-7.

Also have a quick question about water changes and my fluval. Should I turn it off during the water change? I typically take 30% or so water out, so wondering if I should close the valve and shut off during the change or just leave it running.

I would shut if off and close the valve during water changes. You don't have to but you would have to deal with the spray from the filter output when the water level drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did some major house cleaning. Those java ferns were EVERYWHERE. Their roots were attached to everything. Might end up taking my wood out which the ferns are attached to and start from close to scratch but we'll see.

uploadfromtaptalk1439155290364.jpg

Back
Top Bottom