Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmagowan17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I can’t stop the brown Algae from growing in my planted tank with discus. Any advice?

Leave the lights off more. If there's a window, make sure the light is not getting to the tank. U could Get a pleco, or some type of bottom feeder! ? my plecos are so awesome to watch. They work nonstop. Plecos get big, just a warning. But there's smaller types that stay small. Light is the biggest reason, I think.

I can’t stop the brown Algae from growing in my planted tank with discus. Any advice?

I don't know how long your tank has been up and running but this is typical with a new setup . 2 things can have a major impact on brown algae
1 Do a major water change often especialy with new setups
2 get a pleco or some snails that will help , Me I suggest a bristle nosed placo . they do not get huge like the common pleco sold in petshops .
I got one from petsmart , a albino bristlenose .
As far as snails go nerite snails will not breed in fresh water and are great algae eaters https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Nerite...1507465028&sr=1-2&keywords=Tiger+Nerite+Snail

Oh and I almost forgot if you go with the BS pleco they do require wood ( IE driftwood ) for them to survive

I did ALL of the above (literally) and added pothos to my filter. It took a long time for me to get rid of it. Physically removing it was the best way to beat it, along with all of the above, getting the lighting stable and timed took some practice too. I also added a daily dose of carbon. But my tank is heavily planted. Good luck my friend!

Back
Top Bottom