Brown Algae, not diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
well first off...
75 gal tank
I dose...
Excel 5 days a week
20 ml flourish comprehensive twice a week
20 ml flourish K 3 days a week
20 ml Flourish N 2 days a week

my lights are 4x32 watt T8 = 2.56 wpg ( i think)

plants are doing much better since upping comprehensive, K and upgrading lights... but now i have algae not sure if it is beard or slime, but is is brown... maybe the pic will help you id where i can't.

can anyone see any blaring deficiencies in my dosing or have suggestions on how to get ride of algae... will blackout if i have too, but that was really had one my sword last time ( ~3 months ago) they have not yet fully recovered...

thanks is advance

ok the pics! they are not the best, but neither is my camera :(

Is it easy to remove or hard? If it's tough, it's BBA, which means you need more CO2. Since upping the lights and ferts, you may also need a higher CO2 level, as the plants need that the most.

That last pic looks like BBA (above the fish on the left). I think that second pic would be the key but I cannot make out what it is. Are these pics taken with a camera phone? The resolution is awful. :)

7Enigma said:
That last pic looks like BBA (above the fish on the left).
kinda hairy there
I think that second pic would be the key but I cannot make out what it is.
it is slimy there
Are these pics taken with a camera phone? The resolution is awful. :)
no, my camera just realy sux, it is an olympus... don't know the exact type off the top of my head :cry: :oops:

long story short... i guess i am off the the DIY Co2 directions... :?

DIY will be very inneffective for a 7f gal tank. it would take alot of bottles and would be alot of hassle. just try upping yuor excel dose to counter it. and in the mean time look into a pressurized system. it will cost a fait amount of money to replace but with the amount u will be spending on excel it will pay itsself off quickly. not to mention it will be completly hassle free and u just set it and forget it untill the bottle needs refilling. which is like 3 months for a 5 pound and about 6 months witha 10 pound(roughly)

mr funktastic said:
DIY will be very inneffective for a 7f gal tank. it would take alot of bottles and would be alot of hassle. just try upping yuor excel dose to counter it. and in the mean time look into a pressurized system. it will cost a fait amount of money to replace but with the amount u will be spending on excel it will pay itsself off quickly. not to mention it will be completly hassle free and u just set it and forget it untill the bottle needs refilling. which is like 3 months for a 5 pound and about 6 months witha 10 pound(roughly)
well if i up the excel i am afraid i will melt my val, i melted it once from daily dosing of excel and it is just now recovering. my tank is so lightly planted, do you think it really warrants a pressurized system?
if so (since i have no idea where to start) can your recommend a good system and where would be a good place to order it from?

thanks so much

my plants an I tank you for all your help! :D

Back
Top Bottom