brown algae on glass & plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex07

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30 gallon long, with 2 amazon swords and dwarf hairgrass. I've noticed that my swords and hairgrass are turning brown and I also got some brown algae. For lights I have 2 26w 6700k spiral cfl, which I leave on for 12hrs during the day and a 13w red spiral cfl bulb for at night. I put flourish tabs on the sand about a week ago and this Sunday I dosed with flourish phosphorus. Please help me on why this is happening.

Does the brown algae wipe off easily almost like dust? If it does it is probably diatoms which is a microscopic organism which feeds on silicates. it is common in new tanks and will go away on its own.

The swords and hairgrass turning yellow could be a lack of nutrients, which you just added so give them sometime to recover. It can take 30 days to see the effect of ferts on the plants.

It could also be a lack of light. It is hard to judge your light as those spiral bulbs have quite a bit of restrike and just may not be producing enough intensity for the swords and the hairgrass. A 12 hour lighting period could very well lead to algae and you may want to back that down to ten hours.

How long has the tank been set up? Brown algae / diatoms is common in newly set up tanks and do go away when the silicas in the water are used up. However, if you use tap water for your pwc's .... The water may have silicas and the BA may stick around. Ottos I believe make short work of BA.

rich311k said:
Does the brown algae wipe off easily almost like dust? If it does it is probably diatoms which is a microscopic organism which feeds on silicates. it is common in new tanks and will go away on its own.

The swords and hairgrass turning yellow could be a lack of nutrients, which you just added so give them sometime to recover. It can take 30 days to see the effect of ferts on the plants.

It could also be a lack of light. It is hard to judge your light as those spiral bulbs have quite a bit of restrike and just may not be producing enough intensity for the swords and the hairgrass. A 12 hour lighting period could very well lead to algae and you may want to back that down to ten hours.

Yes the algae was wiped off easily.

Well I have bulbs on 2 different reflectors.1 on each side of the tank. I did the calculation and I have 1.73wpg.

jcolon said:
How long has the tank been set up? Brown algae / diatoms is common in newly set up tanks and do go away when the silicas in the water are used up. However, if you use tap water for your pwc's .... The water may have silicas and the BA may stick around. Ottos I believe make short work of BA.

Tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. I used filtered water.

Yes the algae was wiped off easily.

Well I have bulbs on 2 different reflectors.1 on each side of the tank. I did the calculation and I have 1.73wpg.

That is on the low side for the plants in question, hopefully the ferts help. The brown is diatoms and should go away on its own.

Back
Top Bottom