Brown edges around java fern + lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stix_oz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
G'Day all, i have a 70G planted tank which is doing "ok" but not great, it has had plants for about 3 weeks and some of them such as the java fern and anubias are starting to get a little brown around the edges.

I have a 4ft double weatherproof fluro over this tank that i bought from the electrical wholesaler. I'm starting to wonder if the diffuser is screwing with the light to much?

Should i not worry about the diffuser and just take it off?

Both tubes are different expensive brands of tubes for "Aquarium plants" and i have a waterfall filter for a "little bit" of Co2 and i dose them with liquid "plant food" once a week.

I have another single 4ft fluro that i could put in there but it would be a tight squeeze, would taking the diffuser off help dramatically?

Thanks in advance

Stix

I'm not sure on the "diffuser", are you talking about a plastic cover?

I think you mainly need more watts as you sitting at what 1wpg?

Yes a diffuser is the plastic cover you see on all non aquarium fluros.

The light i have is a sealed weatherproof non aquarium fluro, i'm just wondering if the the diffuser (plastic cover) is affecting the light to much?

I know i only have low light but i tried to pick low light plants, i don't really want my plants to flourish, just survive. Do you think i need to add more light?

Well I'm not sure on the diffuser but it certainly doesnt help anything. If you only said java ferns, I would say its not a big deal as large fern leaves start turning brown then new growths/leaves start appearing on it. But the anubias I dont think should be doing that.

What kind of bulbs and wattage are you using?(T-8 or T-12?, what watt per bulb?)
How tall is your tank?

I think a solid 1.5 watt per gallon of T-12 would be what your looking for to just have maintaining growth

I'm not sure exactly what the 2 tubes are, they are both 36W, i went to 2 LFS and bought the "best tube for aquarium plants" they had. I think 1 is a "power glo".

T8 - T12 i don't know, they are full sized 4ft tubes not the skinny ones.

Tank is 2ft deep

Hope this helps.

Stix

That's pretty low light, even before the diffuser cuts part of the light. I'd try removing the diffuser and see how they do. Further the so called "Aquarium Plant" bulbs are often no better and some times worse than the generic bulbs you can get from your hardware store.

Well the 2ft deep is what your fighting against. If you have some room so your not worried about water splashing on the bulbs/fixture I would say take that diffuser off. Is the diffuser textured or not perfectly clear and smooth?(If its not clear and smooth I would try and take it off for sure).

Even then I still think if you can add that one extra bulb you will be much better off, and prob exactly what your looking for

I might try and squeeze in my other 4ft fluro with a standard 36W 6500K tube in it, will this be ample lighting to simply maintain the plants in the tank?

Thanks once again

Stix

Back
Top Bottom