Brown Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkoenix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 180 gallon planted tank and my plants keep turning brown. What would cause this? What do the plants need?

I have a 180 gallon planted tank and my plants keep turning brown. What would cause this? What do the plants need?

Are u fertilising at all? Are u running co2? What light are u using?
How deep is your tank?

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

lights- back current pro-front side fluval pro on 8 hr any more I get algae growth-tank is 2'd-2'w-6'l glass top-use aquafertz pellets, easy green all in one fertilizer(nitrogen potassium magnesium & trace elements) CO2 w a Milwaukee controller PH 7.0 temp 81 GH 13-KH 7

Pictures? What plants? Is it deterioration or accumulation?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure on the specs of your light but it might be struggling to hit the bottom being so deep. Are u running twin diffusers on the tank for your co2? being 180g it's hard to get a good spread of co2 around the tank.

Have u seen any deficiencies prior to them going brown?

How long has the tank been setup for?

Also what's the flow rate of your filter/filters? A planted tank needs a good spread of flow and a turn over of about 8x tank volume an hour

Tank has been set up since April 2016, substrate is Eco-Complete, unable to keep the swords alive.

Last edited:
lights- back current pro-front side fluval pro on 8 hr any more I get algae growth-tank is 2'd-2'w-6'l glass top-use aquafertz pellets, easy green all in one fertilizer(nitrogen potassium magnesium & trace elements) CO2 w a Milwaukee controller PH 7.0 temp 81 GH 13-KH 7

Set tank up in April 2016, Substrate is Eco-Complete, and have not had success keeping the larger plants alive.
180 gal tank with sump, pump is rated as 1056 gph, pumping through an ultra violet light.
CO2 with Milwaukee Controller, and an external Reactor 5000 Carbon doser, on the other side.
Water readings are:
• Ph 7.0
• Nitrate 20 ppm
• GH 13
• KH 7

We were told that the lights we have were plenty for our tank, also having problems with green algae, so we have been keeping them on for 8 hours or less.

Must be a ferts problem then. Have u looked into EI dosing? It uses dry powder fertilizers works really well. Just google EI Tom Barr and it will give u heaps of info on it

My tank has a glass top & the lights are sitting on the glass, could this be part of my problem?

What types offffff plantsssss???

What's your ppm/bubble count on the co2?

These details... we need to know them... if they're high light plants in a low light tank than they're probably melting due to lack of light.

These details... we need to know them... if they're high light plants in a low light tank than they're probably melting due to lack of light.

Totally understand. That's why its funny. Need the info...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Totally understand. That's why its funny. Need the info...

I must be invincible to the op?? Good luck with the plants;)

Most of the plants are Amazon Swords right now planted in the back, the other types died off. In the fore ground I have the four leaf clover and Staurogyne repens. We just planted some Wisteria, other than that we don't have too many plants until we can learn to keep them alive.

And which would be the afflicted plants?

I have a med-low light, low tech tanks and my swords always looked like crap. The last remaining one is now floating for the betta to play with until it looks so bad that I toss it. I think they need a much more fertile bed for the roots to feed and Med - High lights if they are the thrive. I haven't had experience with the others.

Back
Top Bottom