Brown spots on plants HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamkush

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, so I just put plants and fish in my 72 gallon bow front (after a month of cycling) and its been about three weeks since I added livestock and I'm getting brown spots on almost all of my plants. I checked all the levels and their all great! 0 nitrate/ nitrite. ph is at 8.2 could that be the problem? do i need PH buffer? ammonia is also at 0, the tank has been steady between 80 and 80.2 degrees. it also has 250 watts of 6500k lighting and a canister filter. any ideas on what is causing this? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time guys.

Take a look at these pictures.

Attachments

• IMAG0130.jpg
    IMAG0130.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 189
iamkush said:
Alright, so I just put plants and fish in my 72 gallon bow front (after a month of cycling) and its been about three weeks since I added livestock and I'm getting brown spots on almost all of my plants. I checked all the levels and their all great! 0 nitrate/ nitrite. ph is at 8.2 could that be the problem? do i need PH buffer? ammonia is also at 0, the tank has been steady between 80 and 80.2 degrees. it also has 250 watts of 6500k lighting and a canister filter. any ideas on what is causing this? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time guys.

Take a look at these pictures.

Same if happening to me!!! Ill be following

250w of what? Watts mean very little nowadays.

Im guessing it might be t5ho. It looks like you might have a crop of bba growing.

Black Brush Algae. It's indicative of too much light and CO2 requirement. Is that a 4x54w or a 6x54w fixture? Either one is too much light and is probably pushing you over the CO2 threshold.

Im thinking about over a few days moving the ph back to 7.0 as well as dropping the temp from 80 to 78, as well as adding a screen to the top of my aquarium to cut down on the light. Think this would help?

First off, don't muck with you pH. I really think that people overestimate the effects of pH on both flora and fauna. More damage can be done than prevented that way.

As far as the light, you might, might be able to get away with 2 bulbs. Check to see if you can run the fixture with only two bulbs plugged in (probably the two outermost, but try other combinations). That will save you a load of trouble.

WPG means very little with current technology. That rule was made when T8 reigned, but newer technology, such as T5HO, far exceeds the intensity of previous generations. What's more important now is distance from the bulb rather than bulk size.

There are in fact several types of algae that can be caused by insufficient water movement. It is possible to have bba in a co2 injected tank if the flow is not properly delivering it to the right places.

Certain hair and brush algaes, and bga, can ne caused by low levels of water movement.

They may not be fully aquatic plants.... I didnt even think of that, i know the banana plant is but the rest of them may not be... Duh :)

The 2nd picture you posted definitely doesn't look aquatic. That is a plant in the same family of peace lillies I believe.. the name escapes me.

Another person at my LFS that will be getting a talking too... I'll just order a plant package off liveaquaria that i know are FULLY AQUATIC Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom