Brown stains on anubias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
They don't rub off, so is this a deficiency?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413048472.390077.jpg

Low to moderate light, moderately planted tank. My tapwater is basically like distilled so I add Seachem equilibrium to get GH to 4 and some buffer to get KH to 3-4. Nitrates are about 15-25.

For many months they were fine but never grew. Then I moved to a place with much more light and they started putting out a new leaf every few weeks but got these spots.

They are not planted in the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks! That's weird, they seem so happy putting out new leaves! I'll sift them to a shadier spot and see.

You can leave them where they are. The new leaves will be adjusted to the higher light. The ones affected will eventually die and fall off. It is just the way the plant acclimates to tank changes.

It's the new leaves that have the spots ... Not the old ones.

That is a good indication you have a deficiency. Something I failed to mention is that anubias should not be planted in the substrate. You have to keep the rhysome, root bulb, out of the substrate. it is usually a good idea to to tie it to something like a rock or piece of driftwood. Or just let it sit on the substrate. It will send out roots to attach it to whatever you tie it too.

The rhizomes are far from the substrate :)

They were tied previously and the roots grabbed some of the gravel. So when I moved I just plopped them in, the gravel in the roots held them down. But this also meant they're 3" or so closer to the lights above. I wondered if that made it so they're getting too much light even for the new leaves. It's a super dim LED though.

Thanks for all the ideas ...

The leaves seem perfectly smooth, like the color change is under the outer protective layer.

Fauna are danios, tetras, harlequin rasboras, Otos, Pygmy multi striped loaches, ghost shrimp, and several types of snails that don't eat live plants.

I can't get the link to work for the plant deficiencies, I'll keep looking at that too.

I have not heard of any fish, or snails for that matter, eating anubias. They have a bad taste apparently. They are one of the first plants suggested for tanks with plant eating fish. I did a quick online search and came up with phosphate deficiency as a cause for anubia leaf showing discolored spots. I had a problem with low phosphate in my planted tank and my anubias just wouldn't grow and got holes in their leaves. Get something like this Tetra Flora Pride or anything with macro nutrients. Flourish Complete contains micro nutrients and is often not enough. I started with Flourish and added another brand of macro. I cannot remember the name of it.
You can get dry fertilizer at Green Leaf Aquariums for $15 that contain all you need. One order would last months if not a year for one tank. It isn't hard to make a liquid mix to add daily. I have instructions from RIvercats I could send you.

Thank you! I hadn't considered low phosphate. I can have our big LFS test for that. I wonder if having more plants than before is sucking the nutrients away.

Thanks for the fert recommendation. I've been meaning to start following Tom Barr's method with dry ferts. Please do pm me your suggestion as well!

Aaaaannnnd ... The crypts' leaves are curling. Not the ruffling, I know that's normal, but the way they are curling up around their stems ... Only on the red variety, the leaf you see from the bottom in the lower right of the photo.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413267916.629732.jpg

Yes the crypts have root tabs. Seachem flourish, I put them in August 10.

I also have diatoms, I thought that was impossible with low phosphate?

I'm finding info that brown spots and curling leaves can be potassium deficiency ... Gonna try Leaf Zone as it's bigger on K and readily available.

And now this with my crypt!! Overnight it seems, it's almost white.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413525457.788211.jpg

Compare to healthy leaf on the same plant.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413525489.381790.jpg

My most trusted plant guy at the big LFS says I'm using too much CO2 for the amount of light I have ... That if I use a quarter dose, and Leaf Zone for iron and K, and keep up the equilibrium for micros, I should be good. Given that he was advising me to buy nothing I'm going to go with that ...

Back
Top Bottom