Brown stuff on plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carnifex

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i just got some amazon swords and staurogyne repens about 4 days ago and now both plants have this brown/black stuff on their leaves. I don't know if it's dirt from when i dirted the tank and it settled on them, or if they are dying. I'm using a 6500k 40watt cfl about 17 in. above the plants. Is it not enough light? Too much? I've also dosed twice with co2 booster(api) and was going to use it every 2-3 days. All my water parameters are back to normal. I'm new to planted aquariums so any thoughts will help me greatly.

Here is the repens. Sorry if it's hard to see. The brown stuff is also on the swords.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387688569.447573.jpg

Is this a new set up.
I am thinking Brown Algae (Diatoms). They are self limiting and should clear up when their food source (silicates) are all used up.

I see what looks like some diatoms but also nutrient deficiencies. Do you have a root tab under the sword plant? They are heavy root feeders and need root tabs added on a regular basis. The S. Repens can benefit from root tabs but they need ferts from the water. Are you doing any kind of ferts? Also you should be using the liquid carbon daily. You can buy Metricide 14 day solution for around $27 shipped for a gallon. Mix at a 1:1 ratio with RO or distilled water and get 2 gallons for that price which is dirt cheap compared to Excel. Then dose it at 1ml of liquid carbon to every 2 gallons of water daily.

Yes, newly dirted. I should have figured diatoms -_- I'll pick up some root tabs tomorrow. I don't have any ferts yet but i'll order some tomorrow also. Would the estimative index pack from greenleaf be ok? I've been thinking about metricide for awhile. Can i use the co2 booster until i run out? Or is metricide better?

All liquid carbons are basically the same so use up what you have and then move to Metricide 14. Keep the bottle once you use the CO2 booster up and you can use it for the Metricide 14. That's what I did with old Excel bottles. Then just add 1/2 bottle with Metricide 14 and half with RO or distilled water (do measure both) and keep the Metricide in it's bottle.

Dry ferts are the best but with such a small tank you may want to try using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive weekly after WC's and also using API Leaf Zone for added potassium and iron. Plus use the root tabs. See how this works.

Back
Top Bottom