Bubbles on surface of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishythefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently started a planted tank (2 months in) and have noticed I have bubbles that are on the edges of the tank/around the filter/on the surface of the water. My parameters are fine. Although my pH is a little high, I just tested the water. After I do a water change these bubbles will go away and then come back a few days later.

There are 6 live plants in the tank, and 3 pieces of driftwood, again all added roughly 2 months ago.

I thought it was too much protein but I am not convinced it’s that. I was told it could be from ammonia but my ammonia levels are at 0.

Anyone have any ideas? The fish are very happy and healthy and are eating fine. I have 2 angels, 3 Bolivian rams, 1 upside catfish, 1 panda cory. Tank is 36 gallons. IMG_3184.jpgIMG_3185.jpgIMG_3187.jpg

Looks like a protein film in the making to me. Nothing to worry about, although you can add a $20 surface skimmer to your filter intake and it will never come back again if you want.

Looks like a protein film in the making to me. Nothing to worry about, although you can add a $20 surface skimmer to your filter intake and it will never come back again if you want.

Any ways to prevent it? I have noticed after a feeding they will be more prevalent and if I skip a feeding they are less noticeable.

Any ways to prevent it? I have noticed after a feeding they will be more prevalent and if I skip a feeding they are less noticeable.

Not really, the organisms that make up the film will always be in the tank, no matter what you do. Surface skimmer is likely your only option.

Back
Top Bottom