Bud's 55g dirted tank journal thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I found the culprit for the small bubbles mentioned in the OP.

I rinsed the sand in a soapy bucket apparently. Gladly, all the apistos are doing fine due to the added carbon. However, I used the same bucket to rinse sand for the 5g, and in a few hours half of my brand new tiger endlers were dead :(

Well I found the culprit for the small bubbles mentioned in the OP.

I rinsed the sand in a soapy bucket apparently. Gladly, all the apistos are doing fine due to the added carbon. However, I used the same bucket to rinse sand for the 5g, and in a few hours half of my brand new tiger endlers were dead :(

That's awful to hear :( I'm sorry for your loss. Thank goodness for the carbon and large amount of water for the Apistos tho!

Well, the manzanita is wasting no time growing that ugly fungus!

Also, some more apisto shots:

I ordered the furcata rainbows yesterday, I'm hoping they were shipped today but I haven't received any notification.

I'm having a hard time deciding between cardinal tetras and rummynoses. I really like the coloration of both, but I'm currently leaning toward the cardinals because they have a different body shape than the rainbows and I could have more. Any thoughts/opinions?

You can't really go wrong with either the Cardinals or the Rummys. I'm personally partial to Rummys because the black/white striped tail with the red face gives a really eye catching effect when in big schools.

I am really sorry for the loss of the Endlers.

I really love the Apistos though! :)

Thanks! I can't wait until they get older and really color up :D

You can't really go wrong with either the Cardinals or the Rummys. I'm personally partial to Rummys because the black/white striped tail with the red face gives a really eye catching effect when in big schools.

Yeah, I agree. I'm watching lots of youtube videos of both, trying to decide which I like more. Decisions decisions :)

I'd have to say cardinals but that's just because I really like blue and they are much more colorful than rummy noses I think. Either way you can't go wrong. Also keep an eye on that wisteria, I had one stem almost completely take over my tank and I have to trim it constantly. Good luck!:)

I'd have to say cardinals but that's just because I really like blue and they are much more colorful than rummy noses I think. Either way you can't go wrong. Also keep an eye on that wisteria, I had one stem almost completely take over my tank and I have to trim it constantly. Good luck!:)

Yup, it's definitely a fast grower. Because of its fast growth, I'm using it to absorb nutrients that leech from the soil. In a few months I may take it all out and put something different in, since there shouldn't be too much more ammonia from the dirt.

I ordered some new dry ferts - the MMN formula I own is awful, so I'm switching to PPS-Pro minus the MgSO4. (So probably not true PPS-pro). I'm already getting hair algae (eek!) so I felt it was definitely time to take action. I also decreased my photoperiod from 6.5 hours to 6.

I am toying with the idea of a rescape - possibly moving the rocks to the side near the DW, and putting some staurogyne repens where the rocks currently are? I think it may look a bit more natural. Any thoughts?

So just as an update:

The seller of furcata rainbows sent me an email on Tuesday saying he was out of stock. He said he would be able to ship this saturday though, so they'll arrive Monday the 1st.

Also, I have a question for you guys, about fert dosing: I am going to be going on a short vacation this week. The way it's working out, I should only be gone for one FULL day. I'm leaving early Tuesday and getting back around noon on Thursday. Could I dose the amount of ferts needed for two days on Tuesday, to cover both Tuesday and Wednesday? Would that cause algae issues?

And for the third item.......stop me now.....I'm looking at discus :eek::hide:

Yes you can dose that way without an issues.

Great! Thanks :)

The thought of discus quickly fizzled, the rainbows' activity will stress them, plus the higher temperature isn't the best for the furcatas. Oh well, the thought was nice while it lasted :D I'm still excited about getting some angels though - should get them in a couple weeks! (gonna wait a week or so to get the rainbows acclimated)

Well, the rainbows at least SHOULD have gone out today to get here Monday - no notification though. We shall see. If they WERE'NT sent out today, that means I won't be able to get them for over another week - the guy I ordered from won't be shipping priority July 1-8 due to 4th of July being a postal holiday. Frustration. :banghead:

Annnd they were not shipped on Saturday like they were supposed to. What. The. Heck. Soooooo, looks like I won't be getting any new fish for over a week. That means I will get my fish almost a month after I ordered.

The thread seems to have lost quite a bit of steam, but I figured I may post this anyway - did a rescape yesterday. The driftwood was previously not well integrated into the scape, I'm thinking the new look is much more 'flowing' so to speak.

Before:

After:

Ideas, questions or comments are more than welcome :)

Thinking about adding driftwood to my tank myself. Problem is though, is that I have a small tank so i don't know how big of a piece I can add without ruining my ph. For that matter , how do you even add driftwood then manage to keep your ph stable? Nice tank by the way. Waaay better than mine

Back
Top Bottom