Bulb/ballast compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beglely

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright I tore apart my hood and found it is using a Robertson S40BP ballast. The ballast says it is for use with one 30,32, or 40watt bulb. Now the bulb originally being used was a GE 40watt T12. Online ive found that this ballast will support 1 F30T8, F30T12, F40T12, FC12T9, or FC16T9. The hood is 48" long. Now if I'm reading this correctly will I be able to place an Aqua-Glo 40watt T8 in the ballast without any problems? Im unsure so im asking first. The old T12 in the hood is already black on one end so its a matter of time until it dies on me so I just want to make sure I get a compatible replacement bulb.

40w would be t12. t8 would be 32w both are fine. i would save the money and go to home depot and pick up a t8 philps daylight 6500k bulb.

normal output on bulbs is 10watts per foot for t12 and 8watts for t8.

you could always buy one and figure out why. i am not sure why its listed like that. two ideas is A its really t12 or B they just put 40w and was wrong about that. i dont know.

well I went to home depot and got 2 phillips 32watt T8's so problem solved--lights work great so thanks for the suggestion. However I did stop into my lfs and looked at the light in question and indeed written on the bulb is a 40watt T8. Very odd with the information you have provided. Im not willing to pay $25 for a single bulb though to investigate.

glad you like it. buying non aquarium things to use in the tanks do save a lot of money.

usually does as I have now discovered. Between PFS, DIY C02, pond plant root tabs, DIY stand, and now the lights, ive probably saved myself around 200-300 dollars

The "standard" W for T12's are more complicated. Although it used to be 40W, there are also various "Energy miser" bulbs with 38 or 36W. And even though the standard T8's are 32W's, there are also 40W ones. The odd W's are seen mostly in thee lfs's. I think it is mostly marketing, to justify the high prices.

At any rate, the W's only mean the electricity the bulb is consuming, & not necessarily have too much to do with the amount of light it is putting out. Far as I am concerned, the HD bulbs are just as good at the pricey lfs ones, esp. with low light setups.

Back
Top Bottom