Bulb packs at Petsmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a planted tank and have always looked at those little packs of bulbs at the pet stores and thought about getting one. Has anyone had luck getting them to grow, and what method did you use? They have a 30 germination guarantee, so I might try it out and post results. Any help on getting them to work would be appreciated, though.

Bulbs can be tricky as they need to be planted in the correct orientation. If they are planted upside-down it will of course die. There is no way to know which way it will grow. Here's a little trick I learned a long time ago... Wrap the bulb in moist paper towels, not wet just moist. Place that in a warm place. On top of your cable box or A/V receiver or the like. Keep an eye on it and keep it moist. Once it sprouts you know which way to plant it.

blert said:
Bulbs can be tricky as they need to be planted in the correct orientation. If they are planted upside-down it will of course die. There is no way to know which way it will grow. Here's a little trick I learned a long time ago... Wrap the bulb in moist paper towels, not wet just moist. Place that in a warm place. On top of your cable box or A/V receiver or the like. Keep an eye on it and keep it moist. Once it sprouts you know which way to plant it.

Ah, thanks for the tip! That'll be a help. I'll post how it goes.

I tried them a while ago in the beginning and some grew great some didn't. I think I planted them upside DowN like you said. I just always thought they didnt work that well. lol

Back
Top Bottom