Bushy looking plants for low-lighted tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotswithchemicals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm gonna set up a 55 gallon with supposedly a low light setting, and I"m wondering what kind of bushy plants are available. I hear of Anubias and java plants.. but those don't look too attractive to me.

I'm planning to put in fertilizer and I have an eco-complete substrate, so hopefully that'll help!

Also a carpet type plant is something I'd like suggestions on. :)
I asked a LFS about baby dwarf tears but they say they are hard to grow and low lighting won't work. :/ so I'm back to square one.

watersprite is a great looking bushy plant. and most carpet plants won't do a lot of good in low lighting. some that maaay work are dwarf saggitaria, glossostigma, micro sword or dwarf hairgrass. even some mosses would work if you knew how to tie em down.

I've read if you go the carpet route, not to fill the tank completely right out of the gates and let them grow. Fill tank completely once the plants have rooted and somewhat developed. You'd have to do this first before adding too many decor, fish, equip., etc.

Water sprite or wisteria are two good 'bushy' choices for low to medium light.

As far as carpets goes.... well, it doesn't really 'go' without co2 and good light. I wouldn't recommend a moss carpet either. They get super messy really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom