C02 a must have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gallon hexagon tank. I have the bottom lined with a think layer of substrate and am using some fertilizers as well and my lighting is around 3 wpg. So, that being said, is it a must for me to have a DIY C02 system in my tank in order to have lush plant growth? I currently have an onion plant, Cabomba and Hornwort and really want them to thrive. I add Seachem Flourish once a day and have some Flourish tabs on the way as well. I can do a DIY CO2 system but really don't want to have to mess with it. Do you think I can maintain good plant life without having the C02 system?

Also, last time I did the DIY method in another tank I drilled a small hole in the intake stem of my filter and ran the tube into that. I was getting a good bubble count but really wasn't sure if it was being absorbed into the water. Do you think that running it this way allows for the C02 to be absorbed or do I need to build another type of reactor if I have to go with C02?

Thanks in advance!

This depends on the type of lighting you are using, for one.
T8, T12, T5 HO...

Carbon is the limiting factor for growth in most tanks. Thus, the addition of CO2 is almost always beneficial.

There's no point in having a bubble counter for DIY CO2 - you can't control the flow rate anyway.

Reactors that go in-line with a canister seem to work best. I simply run the CO2 through a limewood airstone, and into the intake of my canister.

A hex tank is harder then the normal type of tank to light, so you are most likely not going to get as much light into the tank as others would with the same lighting.

If you stock your tank full of plants, I doubt you will need CO2. Let algae and plant growth be your guide. Though, adding CO2/Carbon to any tank will help with plant growth.

Pressurized CO2 is the preferred method of adding CO2. You can do the DIY style, but ensure you are using atleast 3 bottles with that tank size and alternate which one gets changed out. That way you are maintaining a more steady CO2 production.

Back
Top Bottom