C02 and bio wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read that the bio wheels will diminish the efforts of a C02 injector. Is this true and is there a way to avoid it? I have 55 gal with an emperor 400 with dual bio wheels. I want to add a C02 injector for all of my plants is there any way to stop it from being cancled out?

Yeah it will as they splash the water around quite a bit. This will drive off the added CO2. You really need to think about switching to a canister filter fisrt before adding CO2, IMO.

How much light does your tank have?

I have two 22w lights. Which I know is too low but it is next to a sliding glass window. Which I know is a no no but it is not in direct sun light, just a super bright room. Which my plants really like, and have never had any problems. I just all way hear how much better the growth with the C02. I think that I will keep it how I have it for now. Thanks

CO2 is really only good once you start getting good solid 3 wpg or higher for 10-12 hours a day. With the low light you currently have CO2 will probably lead to algae growth more than extra plant growth. I would consider upgrading that light to a minimum of 2 wpg before even thinking about CO2. So 110 watts instead or 44. Big difference.

I figured I would up grade it all at once. No sense of slowly draining my finances I prefer the shock and ah method.

I run Bio-Wheels on a couple of my tanks. You just have to increase the CO2 injection rate to compensate for the loss. I would guesstimate that I use about 2X as much CO2 as I would without the Bio-Wheels. But then again I like the Bio-Wheels and they do a fine job of oxygenating the water.

Has it been worth the extra effort? As far as growth and health. I just got the new filter and really like it. I would like to plant my big tank but will move them to my other one with out a bio wheel if need be. Do you use a pre-manufactured C02 injector or a DIY. I would not mind putting more energy into doing it right. Because one tank is going to end up with plants.

I have a pressurized system with a DIY reactor. You can see pictures of my reactor on my FAQ page.

My biowheel was nothing more than a haven for algae. I ditched the wheel, and left the filter with just floss. No more algae outbreaks and my plants took off.

Try growing the plants without the CO2 at first if you liek the biowheel. Then later if you think you want or need more growth then add the CO2 unit. At least that is the way I would go and have. I think my plant growth is sufficient for my 10 gallon with 2.8 watts of light without the CO2 for now. Probably if I get a bigger tank then I will add CO2.

Back
Top Bottom