C02 reactor vs diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Does a reactor make a big difference to making sure all injected c02 goes into the water? I've got a c02 diffuser but I can still see fine bubbles making their way to surface (maybe 20%).

Also apart from swapping over to a reactor, I could put the diffuser at the canister filter intake. However then I would have turbulence at the water surface with the canister filters going. Would I loose much c02 to atmosphere? I've read you should keep filtration low but never seen how much c02 would escape. If only a bit is lost I think I would come out ahead?

Does a reactor make a big difference to making sure all injected c02 goes into the water? I've got a c02 diffuser but I can still see fine bubbles making their way to surface (maybe 20%).

Also apart from swapping over to a reactor, I could put the diffuser at the canister filter intake. However then I would have turbulence at the water surface with the canister filters going. Would I loose much c02 to atmosphere? I've read you should keep filtration low but never seen how much c02 would escape. If only a bit is lost I think I would come out ahead?

I think it makes a difference.. i set one up a few weeks ago. Same bubble rate as when I was diffusing via a fluval ceramic disc. Only now there is no visible bubbles in t he tank and the DC is a bit lighter, the plants are pearling much more than before..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm looking at a stand alone reactor for Xmas :)

I know it's very rough but at my ph and kh I'm only getting ~10 - 15ppm c02 as it's taking a few hours to lower ph down. So I think I need to either turn c02 on earlier before the lights come on or make it more efficient.

I've looked at in-line reactors but worried about leaks?

I'm looking at a stand alone reactor for Xmas :)

I know it's very rough but at my ph and kh I'm only getting ~10 - 15ppm c02 as it's taking a few hours to lower ph down. So I think I need to either turn c02 on earlier before the lights come on or make it more efficient.

I've looked at in-line reactors but worried about leaks?

Well... i bought an inline and it leaked right out of the box.. i made one and its performing flawlessly! I could walk you through it, YouTube helped immensely. You're looking into an in tank version? With a pump?
How long before lights on do you gas up?

If you have a canister filter, an inline reactor is a no-brainer (and very easy DIY, as mentioned). I've never even owned a ceramic diffuser. It just seems like it would be a hassle to keep clean, plus if all the bubbles aren't super fine, they'll just escape and waste co2.

What's your filtration? You need some surface movement, but not a lot. You can lower the intake by extending it, and also the output (or raise water level if possible) so it's not splashing at the surface. You can run CO2 into the intake, but it will wear out the impeller since CO2 is acidic. I'd go with an inline reactor.

Check out this bad boy dela!!

Attachments

• 1416575316981.jpg
    1416575316981.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 91
Geez, its pretty tempting. Sorry for the delay getting back. It's really just the thought of leaks over the stained wood stand (some is glued pressed particle) and heaven help me if it leaked onto the wood book cases next to the tank. Would be interested in details though to get an idea as I think I will need to do something. Need all the help I can get with plants in this tank.

At the moment I have to get a drop checker but the c02 is run by a ph controller. KH was 4 last night. I know the chart is out by at least 10% plus effect of other buffers and acids but it looks like I'm only light dosing C02. Really need the drop checker I guess. But anyway I think I'm only getting about 10 - 15ppm C02 in tank.

CO2/pH/KH table - Aquarium Plants

I missed the ph start but I think after last water change it was 7.6. The C02 comes on 1/2 an hour before the lights? Maybe run longer before lights? The two canister filters switch off and the lights come on at the same time. Light period is 4 hrs in morning and then 4 at night. So 8 hrs of light and 9 of CO2. Some of the c02 bubbles get sucked into the internal U4 filter (runs all the time except feeding), but not completely happy with the diffuser. It is ceramic I think but nothing expensive and not really super fine bubbles. Some big bubbles occur as well. :(

The ph after about an hour or 2 of C02 gets to 7.1. After 4 hours it is just hitting 6.9 (almost before it switches off!). The guy at the shop has his ph switch off set at 6.7!! for same kh (probably same water). I can increase the bubble rate but a reactor has me tempted to get more efficient.

The val has started growing a bit although it does get brown and faded on edges. No idea why. You can kind of see it in the pictures. I also dose glut still at 1ml per 20 gal. More to keep algae at bay as the val I've found sensitive to glut.

I dose dry ferts. Nitrates about 40ppm, phosphate 1ppm. Dosing extra iron and potassium. Planning on adding some DIY substrate tabs this weekend to see if val takes off. Surprisingly fish seem to be all doing fine even though sometimes the nitrates is going too high before I catch it.

Back
Top Bottom