C02 system... help on figuring this out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxst2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I'll have some plants in my 55gal tank. From what I read that cO2 is fairly needed.

I have a paintball gun... and a few 16 and 12 oz bottles for cO2. I don't paintball anymore. I want to make use of these bottles. What can I do to make use of these bottles and how are cO2 "kits" made and use for bottles etc etc. Maybe I can reverse engineer it and I can make use of it.

There are kits out there that use paintball bottles. The downside is it usually costs about the same to fill a paintball bottle as it does to fill a 5lb bottle. The regulator attachment is really the only difference.

That particular system is quite expensive. you should be able to pick up a 10lbs bottle with a regulator and solenoid for less than $200.

That's a pretty good deal. The only thing you should consider though that is the regulator costs the same for a 5lbs bottle and you can pick up a 5lbs bottle from a local welding supplier for cheap. The paintball tank will run out quickly and you will find yourself going back for co2 often, especially if this is on the 55 gallon tank. Plan at least every 2 months or so.

I know it is tempting to buy a system that will attach to a paintball tank... but I agree with Chizer's analysis. It will cost the same to fill a 5 lb tank at your local welding supply store. It is a pain to change out the tanks... you generally will have to readjust your needle valve and monitor it for a few days to get it back to where you want it. I would go with a regular regulator that attaches to a 5lb or 10lb tank, and bite the bullet and go that route. In the long run you will save yourself a ton of time and money.

Wow. I used to get tanks filled years ago and it was $10 or more to fill a 20 oz tank.

Your lucky. I guess its just the hassle of going to get it filled. Most of the shops in my city make me come back several days later.

Welding supply stores are the best places I've found to fill 5lb+ tanks. Costs the same to fill the 5lb tank as the sporting goods stores charged me to fill a 20Oz paintball tank back in the day. Agree with chizer too on the convenience. While I have never had to come back the next day or anything, it is still a bit out of the way and takes time to go get it filled.

But, to each his own. If you want to go with the paintball system, more power to you. It will work great. Will just require filling more often.

Back
Top Bottom