C02 Tank Question Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
How long should a 5lb tank of C02 last? I have it on 8 hrs per day but at a very small drip - maybe 1 drip per second and a half? It's the first time I've used C02 in the tank and my plants have been doing wonderfully in response, though the tank didn't last as long as I thought.

I'd appreciate any input.

I had the same problem at one point. You have a leak somewhere in the system. Mine was at the bubble counter. Check all of your fittings

Refills are $5-20 depending on where you get it filled.

Yeah I pay 15 at my local paint ball arena and they overfill if for me. And I agree with the leak. Get some plumbers tape for all grooved parts. I had the same issue and no leaks now. Going on 4 months and the needle hasn't moved.

Yeah I pay 15 at my local paint ball arena and they overfill if for me. And I agree with the leak. Get some plumbers tape for all grooved parts. I had the same issue and no leaks now. Going on 4 months and the needle hasn't moved.

I wish I could get it that cheap. It costs 30 bucks for me get mine refilled where I live. I can't afford leaks lol

$7 at a beer distributor a few miles away, there's is almost always a more affordable option you just need to be creative in how you look for it

And how much does an actually bottle itself cost ? and how big are they ? Are they small bottles like a little propane torch ? or what

I'm not sure on the new cost, I. got all mine off Craigslist and I don't think I spent more than $20 on one. The ones I have are the 10 pound size tank a bit larger in diameter and a bit taller than a two liter bottle of soda

The best way to check the effectiveness of your CO2 saturation is with a drop checker. I am surprised no one mentioned it earlier. The time the bottle lasts is also dependent on the size of your tank. A 5 pound bottle would longer on a 10 gallon tank as opposed to a 220 gallon tank so it is all relative. The easiest way to check for a leak is to spray soapy water on your regulator and connection to the tank and look for bubbles. If the CO2 gauge is bad, it will leak undetected for months. The best way to check the regulator is to perform a leak-down test. If you have a welding supply store near you, they should be able to check out your regulator pretty reasonably. I get my CO2 from a welding supply store as well. I can fill a 10 pound bottle for about $15.00, and it lasts me 3+ months in my heavily planted 135 gallon tank.
D

Back
Top Bottom