C02 tanks - how long do they last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Trying to get an idea how long people find their c02 tanks last for?

I guess for a certain size and hours per day. Asking here I was told at various lfs's between 3 to 5 months.

Gee, that's alright. I timed the bubble count and 3 bps. If I can get 3 months at least I'll be happy. Lfs said $70 to refill/exchange but hoping I can do better than that.

Doesn't it also depend on the size of your fish tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Eh, maybe? How so?

I was assuming that diffusers are roughly all equal. The c02 bottle I got is really for home brew going by the sticker but is 6 pound (2.64kg) to do a 150gal tank (4ft).

A tank that size should last you almost a year. I'm not sure being that you're in Australia, you may he able to get it filled elsewhere for cheaper. I take mine to a paintball facility, you can also use welding supply shops or gas distributors. Some places do tank swaps, others will simply fill them. Fire extinguisher places may do it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It should. I would think it would take much less time for a drop checker to change from blue to green at 3 bps in a 10 gallon tank versus a 55 gallon tank (with all other factors being as close to equal as possible).
My 24 oz tank costs $4.29 to refill at a sporting goods store.

It should. I would think it would take much less time for a drop checker to change from blue to green at 3 bps in a 10 gallon tank versus a 55 gallon tank (with all other factors being as close to equal as possible).
My 24 oz tank costs $4.29 to refill at a sporting goods store.

Thanks all - a year would be good :) I'll check out those other places for filling. If it's close in price I'll support the lfs but it seems expensive (even for Australia).

I noticed that tonight. I had changed the timer so co2 comes on an hour before lights now. The ph meter /controller normally does nothing except run flat out but this time about half way through the light period the ph was down to 6.9. Co2 injection is set to cut off at 6.9ph (which it did), but I noticed the ph went down to 6.8. I assume this would be as I have the ph meter on the other side of the tank to the diffuser and it takes time for the co2 to 'work across'?

20lb lasts about 6-8 months on my 95g.
It costs 30$ to have the empty tank replaced by a full one at a hydroponics store.

I was burning through a 5lb one every 3-4 weeks when i had it plugged into a multi tank system. Now that it's on the container pond, I switched to a 20lb since I found a good deal on one, and it lasts about 4-6 months. The swaps on the 20lb at the welding supply place are around 7 bucks.

Hmm, might see how much to upgrade bottle size down the track and if better price.

After 2 weeks of co2, the hygro that was at deaths door for the last month with no leaves, now has new shoots appearing :)

Hmm, might see how much to upgrade bottle size down the track and if better price.

After 2 weeks of co2, the hygro that was at deaths door for the last month with no leaves, now has new shoots appearing :)

Make sure you keep up with potassium for that hygro.. they are pigs;)

Make sure you keep up with potassium for that hygro.. they are pigs;)

:) thanks for the great tip.

Still feeling my way there. Do you double dose potassium or anything? I gather it is pretty safe for fish?

I found an Australian supplier for a potassium test kit but it was going to be about $150 which pushed it down the wish list.

Back
Top Bottom