C02 tanks - How long until empty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mordred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was hoping a few of you that have the larger planted tanks could offer some info on how long your tank of C02 lasts for you size of aquarium?

I have a 140 gallon aquarium and was hoping to re-use my 20oz paintball canister, but was unsure if the 2-5lb was a better route.

So far I am thinking the bigger tank would be better.

-S

I'd go with at least a 5lb tank on a 140g, 10lb if you could swing it. I seem to refill my 5# every 3-4 months, running 3 tanks off of it. I just setup a 125 that's tapped in now, and don't expect it to last very long.

I have a 20lb I use on my 29g and 40g and it lasts around 8 months. Used to have it on 3 tanks, so maybe now it will last a couple more months. :)

On that size tank, I'd get a 10lb or 20lb, personally.

Paintball size tanks are gonna last no time. You'll spend more money refilling them than you would on a 10lb tank IMO.

I use a 20 lb tank on a 125 and a 75 with a 2 way manifold. I run the C02 24 hrs at around 2 bubbles per second in the 75, 3 bubbles per second in the 125. No solenoid. My 20 lb C02 tank is typically done in 4 months. If I ran a solenoid and shut the C02 down at lights off, the tank should last twice as long. In hindsite, I should have got the solenoid. Got to do that one of these days!

Hmm...sounds like the larger tank is the way to go. What's the cost of filling up a 10-20lb tank?

Generally it only costs a couple extra dollars to fill the next size up cylindar. I pay about $15 to fill my 5lb.

I paid $18 or 20 to swap my 20lb. But when I got my own tank filled, it only cost about $12. I miss that place. :D There is a place here that wanted $75 to fill a 20lb tank......ha, they are insane.

Back
Top Bottom