C02 usage in a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GUZILLA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and wanted to get some advice. I have a new 75 gal aquarium that I plan on setting up in a few weeks and I am planning to have a lot of plants to create a brilliant aquascape. In my 13 months of experience leading up to this new tank, I have had several planted tanks, but rarely the results I desire, so I would like to use a CO2 system for the first time to increase the lushness of the aquatic plants. I have had success growing many different types of plants, but they are never as full and vibrant as the ones I see online (usually thin and wiry).

I also plan to experiment by using pool filter sand (as it is inert) and premium substrate and separate the 2 mediums with aquarium safe plastic to reduce mixing. Using the substrate to plant and the sand as a pathway to give the scene some contrast and add an element of complexity.

My Questions:
1)Any suggestions for C02 systems out there? I currently have some 20 ounce CO2 paintball tanks, can I use these?

2)Are there any contingencies that I should be aware of before using 2 different substrate mediums?

I await your input/ suggestions.

Thanks!

I'm using paintball co2 on my 75 gallon right now and I would not recommend it. I have to refill every 2-3 weeks even when using a reactor to diffuse the co2. I just ordered an aquatek regulator and a 20 lbs tank out of frustration lol.

You could do paintball, I just suggest getting a full size regulator like the cheap aquatek and then getting the paintball adapter for it, so you can always go back to a full size tank later on if you end up disliking the paintball size tanks.

The only thing about using 2 substrates is mixing, which sounds like you've already prepared for.

You could do paintball, I just suggest getting a full size regulator like the cheap aquatek and then getting the paintball adapter for it, so you can always go back to a full size tank later on if you end up disliking the paintball size tanks.

The only thing about using 2 substrates is mixing, which sounds like you've already prepared for.

Yea what he said lol. I messed up and got a paintball reg

Yea what he said lol. I messed up and got a paintball reg
Ditto. I was tempted to purchase the Aquatek mini regulator specifically designed for paintball tanks and got the Premium one with the adapter instead. I switched to a 5 lb CO2 tank after the first paintball tank ran out and am glad I had the option.

Thanks for all the advice. I decided not to go with the paintball tank system due to the concerns you all raised.

I ended up going with a 10 lb CO2 tank with an aquatek regulator with a solenoid. I also grabbed an atomizer and CO2 proof tubing after I was not impressed with a ceramic diffuser I got (Spio III i think).

The atomizer was a great addition (got it for $8 from Singapore) - what a deal! I do think the co2 proof tubing has also made a slight difference. You can tell by the thickness and rigid state that it is not a gimmic. Also, the CO2 pressure is a lot higher with it.

The system is working out great and I can see an obvious difference in the lush factor of my plants. After introducing CO2, the bulbs I planted really took off. In one month my water lily has sprouted 10 lily pads that are floating on the surface, 2 more on the way. it is getting out of control and had to clip some to allow light to get to the other plants. There is noticeable improvement to all plants.

Things are going so well that I have also been able to supplement my smaller tanks with clips.

I will post some pics to my profile soon.

Thanks again!

Pressurized CO2 is great ! I have it for 6 month, 100% dissolved by CO2 reaction chamber.

It do a lot of difference with plants growing speed, color, and prevent algae from high lights.

Back
Top Bottom