Ca sources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have found these locally:
Calcium Carbonate powder (will mess with KH)
Calcium Citrate powder (Will mess with pH)
Calcium pills with Vitamin D and Mg in a caplet so it is powder

I know Gregs carries GH booster and if I knew I needed it I would have ordered it but all by itself it is way too expensive with hsipping. I can find suppliments here for far less. If I could come up with something else I might need it would be worth it.

Tank 7-8 dKH, 3-5 dGH, pH 6.6, already dose CSB+B, MgSO4, K2SO4, KNO3, KH2PO4.

I need to add calcium as I have said, my tap water has none!
Will any of these work and not give my fish a headache?

I have the same problem with my tapwater being too soft (no calcium or anything).

I read somewhere that you can use those 3-day feeder pyramids to increase calcium in your tank.

I assume then that your tank KH is the same as your tap KH? If you add baking soda to increase the KH of the tank you can substitute the calcium carbonate for the baking soda.

I use calcium chloride for dosing small amounts of calcium, it should be relatively easy to find locally.

Also, "Gypsum" is CaSO4 and won't affect KH.

Tap water is dKH<1 and dGH<1.

I dose MgSO4 for GH in my tanks now. I dose nothing for my KH but it still raises up to 8 dKH. I know it is from shells and coral in my aquarium gravel but it has steadily dropped over the last 2 months.

There is no one that carries gypsum nor calcium chloride locally. I hate it because I can never find a specialty anything locally. I could get gypsum from sheet rock but measuring could be a problem. :)

I know I will need something for my KH sooner or later and I know I need calcium so maybe it would be best to go with calcium carbonate and simply dose to whichever level gets to peak first. Anyone know how much to dose or what effects it has on KH and GH?

I add nothing for KH and add only MgSO4 for GH.

Try a pool store, they sell Calcium hardness increaser, Home Depot does also.
It's CaCl2.

MgSO4 (epsom salt)will be found cheap and locally at any grocer/drug store.
Mix these two at 3:1 ratio(Ca:Mg), add about 1/2 teaspoon per 40 gal 1-2x week.
Gypsum(CaSO4) is found at any agriculture, gardening center.

Use baking soda to get about KH= 2.
No need to go higher than 2 KH.

Regards,
Tom Barr

My local Home Depot is just a rip off. Things that they put here to have a lumber and hardware location. I have no pool stores around here. I have to drive at least 200 miles to find one. My garden centers carry nothing but plants and soils. The glories of the small town selection. Not much call for pools in a location where it normally rains 100+ days a year.

I use Epsom salt now, 1/8 tsp once a week.

I may just have to bite the bullet and buy some of Gregs GH booster.

Sorry for the ressurection of this thread but I suffer the same problem of low KH and GH out of tap. I'm a little curious, what are the differences between all of the calcium supplements?

Calcium Chloride (I see chloride and I think chlorine, what does this affect?)
Calcium Sulfate (got gypsum, but does it affect anything besides GH?)
Calcium Nitrate (anyone know the ratio's of how much nitrate gets dosed with this?)
Calcium Carbonate (I know shell and coral can boost this and that it affects KH)

Is there a better one to go with? is the GH booster a better way of covering all potential problems with soft water?

CaptnIgnit said:
Sorry for the ressurection of this thread but I suffer the same problem of low KH and GH out of tap. I'm a little curious, what are the differences between all of the calcium supplements?

Calcium Nitrate (anyone know the ratio's of how much nitrate gets dosed with this?)
Calcium Carbonate (I know shell and coral can boost this and that it affects KH)

Is there a better one to go with? is the GH booster a better way of covering all potential problems with soft water?

Chloride is salt not chlorine. In low amounts it is fine to use.

Calcium sulfate will only affect GH level since sulfate is relatively non-important for our uses (most "single" additives use the sulfate to create the salt as it is not harmful to fish/plants).

calcium carbonate is a great way to increase both GH and KH, however it is very insoluble and so its tough to dose accurately and keep consistent levels.

Personally I use baking soda for my KH buffering, and magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride for my GH buffering. All of these chemicals instantly dissolve and will give you very reproducable results.

You forgot Calcium citrate and although it is difficult to dissolve and I have to dose it dry it has made a huge difference in my plants and snails. My fish seem to even have a little vigor to them and act more natural. As long as you have a pH below 7.0 it should dissolve well in your tanks. It takes about 2 hours to dissolve 1/4tsp in my 10 gallon tanks.

7Enigma said:
CaptnIgnit said:

Chloride is salt not chlorine. In low amounts it is fine to use.

Calcium sulfate will only affect GH level since sulfate is relatively non-important for our uses (most "single" additives use the sulfate to create the salt as it is not harmful to fish/plants).

calcium carbonate is a great way to increase both GH and KH, however it is very insoluble and so its tough to dose accurately and keep consistent levels.

Personally I use baking soda for my KH buffering, and magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride for my GH buffering. All of these chemicals instantly dissolve and will give you very reproducable results.

Not true at all. Chloride IS the ion form of Chlorine (Cl) that carries a -1 charge (Cl -1). Anything ionic that has Cl-1 in it will completely ionize when it goes into water. Ex. hydrochloric acid (HCl), sodium chloride or table salt (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl2) etc (you get the point) all split into their respective parts when placed in an aqueous solution. So, 7Enigma, it doesn't really matter which of these you use you will still be getting Ca ions in the water. I would not recommend using the Ca(NO3) because that would up your nitrate level, unless that is what you are looking for. I can tell you how by how much your level will increase if you tell me how much you put in (by mass). For every one Ca ion you will be adding 2 NO3 ions. CaCO3 and CaSO4 are both insoluble so it looks like you are left with CaCl2 and Ca(NO3)2.

Back
Top Bottom