Caleb's 10g puffer build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I boiled my DW for hours on end and it still leaked tannins a lil bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I boiled my DW for hours on end and it still leaked tannins a lil bit.

Yeah mine is now past the white fuzzy stuff (I think) and most of the tannins are out of it.

It's air drying and I'll prob put it back in today after a good scrub.

Caleb

I've done that.. the stingray... next day'd it too..for a second I thought Santa really did exist, than I realized it was September and I'm 30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well lucky for me axon has free two day. I have enough self control to wait an extra day ;)

Caleb

PraziPro came in today and I'm a bit confused as the instructions are vague. Do I need to turn off my filter? Can I add it straight to the water? Daily water changes? I've only used a medication once before and that was only for like a day before switching to heat treatment for ich. Otherwise I'm new to medications.

On another note the puffer is looking a little fatter today and the new light should be here tomorrow!

Caleb

Last edited:
making good progress! It took my puffer a while to get used to frozen, but you'll get it. Cool tank too. You should get him some crayfish buddies :D

making good progress! It took my puffer a while to get used to frozen, but you'll get it. Cool tank too. You should get him some crayfish buddies :D

I thought about it but I really will probably only have some otos. I wanted to try some more delicate plants I can't do in my 75g because of digging dojos(which might be remodeled anyway). I'm afraid the crayfish would snip my little plants like the repens.

Caleb

PraziPro came in today and I'm a bit confused as the instructions are vague. Do I need to turn off my filter? Can I add it straight to the water? Daily water changes? I've only used a medication once before and that was only for like a day before switching to heat treatment for ich. Otherwise I'm new to medications.

On another note the puffer is looking a little fatter today and the new light should be here tomorrow!

Caleb
First the prazi pro is this brand;
AQUARIUM SOLUTIONS & POND SOLUTIONS PraziPro Health Aid - The World's First Ready-To-Use, Liquid Concentrate Praziquantel Treatment!

If yes,
1 teaspoon per 20 g for 5-7 days.
As a big of a water change as possible(and safe) before will allow the med to be most effective.
In the directions it says to do the water change but doesn't say why;
almost all meds are degraded by organics(DOC) in the water and fresh water just makes meds better.
No carbon or protein skimming.
The filter stays on and actually is where you can pour the meds so they get mixed the quickest and best.
Prazi is VERY forgiving and overdosing damage is recorded on OD of 500%!!!(y)
You can easily treat a second week full strength without any water change (but again it makes meds better along with added bene to fish).(y)
After 2 treatments(2 weeks) give it rest for a week or 2 and see how fish are
THIS is how I treat my RAMS!(with the powder version and vodka.)
4 times this year at 2 week treatment without one loss(out of 200+ fish!):eek:
Good luck and glad to hear the puffer looks better.:dance:
I would still treat and in ALL honesty;
This is the only med I will ever use prophylatically.

First the prazi pro is this brand;
AQUARIUM SOLUTIONS & POND SOLUTIONS PraziPro Health Aid - The World's First Ready-To-Use, Liquid Concentrate Praziquantel Treatment!

If yes,
1 teaspoon per 20 g for 5-7 days.
As a big of a water change as possible(and safe) before will allow the med to be most effective.
In the directions it says to do the water change but doesn't say why;
almost all meds are degraded by organics(DOC) in the water and fresh water just makes meds better.
No carbon or protein skimming.
The filter stays on and actually is where you can pour the meds so they get mixed the quickest and best.
Prazi is VERY forgiving and overdosing damage is recorded on OD of 500%!!!(y)
You can easily treat a second week full strength without any water change (but again it makes meds better along with added bene to fish).(y)
After 2 treatments(2 weeks) give it rest for a week or 2 and see how fish are
THIS is how I treat my RAMS!(with the powder version and vodka.)
4 times this year at 2 week treatment without one loss(out of 200+ fish!):eek:
Good luck and glad to hear the puffer looks better.:dance:
I would still treat and in ALL honesty;
This is the only med I will ever use prophylatically.

Thanks bandit that is the med I have. I'll water change in the morning and begin treatment.

I put my driftwood back in the tank tonight with a lot of rocks on top. I'm always unlucky and get the wood that wants to float, leach, everything lol. Hopefully I got everything out but some tannins.

Caleb

If this moss takes over the log I'll be in love. It's about a golf ball size from my 75g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435022368.430915.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435022382.615617.jpg

Caleb

Nice lil tank Caleb.

Thanks. The driftwood loves making my water a little cloudy and I had my hands in earlier.

I might be making major changes in my 75g the upkeep for a planted tank that size is just ridiculous plus co2/ferts costs as I'm sure you know quite well. I want to low tech it or none and go big. Like polypterus big :D

This planted will become my main focus as far as plants go. No dojo to dig them up or anyways :yay:

Caleb

Thanks. The driftwood loves making my water a little cloudy and I had my hands in earlier.

I might be making major changes in my 75g the upkeep for a planted tank that size is just ridiculous plus co2/ferts costs as I'm sure you know quite well. I want to low tech it or none and go big. Like polypterus big :D

This planted will become my main focus as far as plants go. No dojo to dig them up or anyways :yay:

Caleb

The tank is looking good! If the you end up disliking the driftwood in the future, spiderwood is a good option for DW that doesn't have many tannins.

Lol. I have the blue Acara's pulling anything and everything up until it really gets a good hold with the roots.
The Blyxa I got from Brookster has been planted 50 times....lol

You really shouldn't have to worry about the crayfish snipping plants. The only problem I have ever had was the crayfish pulling out some stems, but he quit after I replanted them. You are right with otos though, they are probably way more valuable use wise than crayfish.

Lol. I have the blue Acara's pulling anything and everything up until it really gets a good hold with the roots.
The Blyxa I got from Brookster has been planted 50 times....lol

Lol I remember coming home every day to about 10 repens and various other plants floating around my tank. He would sit on top of a rock and I know on the inside he was making the biggest grin ever of "look how much I dug up for you today!" :D

Caleb

You really shouldn't have to worry about the crayfish snipping plants. The only problem I have ever had was the crayfish pulling out some stems, but he quit after I replanted them. You are right with otos though, they are probably way more valuable use wise than crayfish.

I would take the ones from my 75g but that would probably be impossible. It's hard to catch anything in that tank.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom