Caleb's 10g puffer build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since this is anther planted tank I figure I should make a build thread since I'll be keeping plants in here I can't in my 75g due to a very fat and happy dojo loach that loves digging up little plants.

Specs:
Standard 10g tank
Finnex FugeRay-R clip on
PPS-PRO
Seachem Iron(for reinekeii)
API co2 booster
Sponge filter
Standard heater for the tank
Floromax substrate

Stock:
x1 dwarf puffer

Plants:
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Crypt undulata
Staurogyne repens
Lobelia Cardinalis
Java Fern
Java moss
Cyprus helferi
A. Reinekeii
1 surviving shoot of pogo. Helferi

Tank stats:
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

This tank was set up and had to be taken down due to an overdose of root tabs from its owner :( I've since gotten brand new Floromax and rescaped the tank.

I have a pond snail colony in a 2.5g above this tank. He hasn't taken frozen YET. :)

I worry way too much about the lighting. I fear it's not enough especially for the A. reinekeii. If I added the Finnex 24/7 would that be enough for the reinekeii to flourish?

Pics:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434125364.803940.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434125399.712302.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434125418.740050.jpg

Caleb

Water change day! I've noticed tannins in the way which I think the puffer actually likes.

If I'm correct tannins make it harder for light to reach the bottom?

Caleb

Using a big carbon bag left over to help remove the tannins. I didn't want to add a powerhead as this is a puffer in the tank. So I put the carbon bag above the sponge filter to get some current going on it.

Stupid fungus is setting in from the wood and covering everything. I have the worst luck with driftwood.

Might take it outside and boil it...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434471042.913704.jpg

Caleb

I promise the plants look a lot better up close :/ driftwood just ruining everything.

Caleb

Certain dw will leach tannins, some won't, some will never stop leaching. The white gunk will go away after time. Snails will much it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Certain dw will leach tannins, some won't, some will never stop leaching. The white gunk will go away after time. Snails will much it too.

^^THIS^^
I heard of one member a while ago took his wood out after it "slimed"(it is bio slime not fungas??) and baked it.
Never had the slime return when he added it back.
The slime is no big deal though and will go away.
Tank looks good ,Puffer looks hungry.

^^THIS^^
I heard of one member a while ago took his wood out after it "slimed"(it is bio slime not fungas??) and baked it.
Never had the slime return when he added it back.
The slime is no big deal though and will go away.
Tank looks good ,Puffer looks hungry.

Yeah he's eating his snails but hasn't accepted frozen yet. Working on cultures to see what he likes.

Caleb

This driftwood will not get the best of me!

I found an old metal pot and the old propane grill and we are boiling away! I'm about to boil though as well is 90 degrees out here.

The metal cage under the foil is holding the wood underwater.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434660760.421988.jpg

Caleb

Yeah it gets gross. I boiled the piece in my 29 so much that the steam kind of made the paint on the ceiling above the stove bubble up. Oops :D

Jesse

Yeah it gets gross. I boiled the piece in my 29 so much that the steam kind of made the paint on the ceiling above the stove bubble up. Oops :D

Jesse

Lol and that's why I'm doing it outside!

Water is changed.

I've already done one 60% change on the tank vacuuming up the nasties, about to do another to try and clean up the rest.

Caleb

Done a couple vacuums and water changes to clean the tank back up from its nasty state. Plus the tank is upstairs and I was using a bucket so I got a workout today. My Python can't reach all the way upstairs.

Caleb

Done a couple vacuums and water changes to clean the tank back up from its nasty state. Plus the tank is upstairs and I was using a bucket so I got a workout today. My Python can't reach all the way upstairs.

Caleb

That's what she said! Buckets are good for you.. i do all the draining on my tanks into buckets..

That's what she said! Buckets are good for you.. i do all the draining on my tanks into buckets..

Ha! :D

Same here except my 75g it just gets drained outside to water the plants.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom