Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may already know I have purchased my new tank. It's an Aquaone Aquaopti 85 with Inspire 60 cabinet.

IMG_1478457280.410221.jpg

Due to the quick sale of my Juwel vision 180 I had to set it up fast and 'rough' just to get my fish back in a swimming around.

IMG_1478457380.058640.jpg

As you can see I had to put a makeshift filter in there at the moment. I have no biological colony at present. Just what is in the plants and eco complete maybe so I'm testing for ammonia and changing water daily. The JBL e1501 canister would be too powerful for this tank at nearly 20x turnover and so I am looking in to the Ehiem Ecco pro range.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eheim-2034-Ecco-Pro-200/dp/B0056GMZ8I

The internal is so quiet though. The thought of the hum of the canister is making me cringe.

The plan is to mount a spray bar and use a diffuser for misting placed in the tank. I can always rig the inline up if I'm not happy with the way this pans out but with a spray bar in this size tank I don't see any reason why the co2 would not mix well enough. The only reason for an inline would be to keep things out of the tank which if it bugs me enough ill change it.

Also using a makeshift light unit that is actually for an Aquanano 40. The plan was to rest the an old Juwel T5 fixture across the top until my new LED came but it sold too quickly. There is no co2 hooked up yet. Had to use a couple of heaters just to keep the temp at 25 as they are for smaller tanks. I still need to buy a heater.

My LED is a Chihiros A series by Hinterfeld 60cm

Really looking forward to getting the light on here.

Substrate is eco complete and will be using EI fert dosing.

I've just set up a rough scape for the time being. It is far from finished. Any thoughts are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1478458267.130113.jpg
    IMG_1478458267.130113.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1478458295.075941.jpg
    IMG_1478458295.075941.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 504
Last edited by a moderator:
That light is brighttttttttt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That light is brighttttttttt

It's just a regular bulb. A bit bigger than the one that is supposed to be in it. I had a poxy fluval LED think but the glass is too thick for it to clip on.

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Congrats, that is a sharp looking setup! Glass lily pipes and a ~1000 Lph canister maybe? That's what I would do.

Congrats, that is a sharp looking setup! Glass lily pipes and a ~1000 Lph canister maybe? That's what I would do.

Thank you! Hmm still debating on the glass. I'm a bit clumsy at the best of times. I think the filter will be between 700-1000lph. I need to get the balance right with flow. The fluval 205 I just sold would have been a decent stand in at this point.

Looks good! Although I'm a big tank person myself I have a soft spot for the nano builds people do.

I highly recommend the inline with a spray bar. I use this method and the co2 spread is insane. Solid pearl every day. However with 10x tank flow and a spray bar my plants at the front of the tank tend to bend backwards. Not as much of an issue with stiffer plants like crypts but any stem plants get blown back.

Just something to think about when scaping ;)

Definitely following this build!

Looks good! Although I'm a big tank person myself I have a soft spot for the nano builds people do.

I highly recommend the inline with a spray bar. I use this method and the co2 spread is insane. Solid pearl every day. However with 10x tank flow and a spray bar my plants at the front of the tank tend to bend backwards. Not as much of an issue with stiffer plants like crypts but any stem plants get blown back.

Just something to think about when scaping ;)

Definitely following this build!

I know what you mean. Had that setup running on the vision in its prime. I don't think there is a better method for co2 delivery other than a reactor to break the bubbles down completely before entering the tank or putting the co2 on the inlet side of a canister rather than the outflow.

Having said that, many pros don't use a spraybar so they are by no means necessary. I'm thinking it through, despite being at work all I can think about is this new tank.

I think I'm going to build the substrate up even higher at the back and look in to getting some rock[emoji2]

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

The white cabinet looks sharp! Very nice tank. I am a small tank person, love it!

There was a moment yesterday when I thought I had gone too small. But I'm going to have so much fun with this one. Downsizing will be more economic for me too as I'll have to use less of everything. The small gaps at the side will allow much better access for me to fiddle until my heart is content. The slightly smaller depth and height means I can reach over and see what's going on behind the tank. Despite being just over 6 ft this was a problem with the vision because of the bow too..

I do like the white cabinet. They do white and oak and black and oak too.

Now to look for a snazzy heater. What wattage am I looking for in an 85L?

Last edited:
Looks sharp. But the view from your chair....
I think some furniture moving is in order. You need to be able to position yourself smack dab in front for full viewing pleasure. IMHO.

There was a moment yesterday when I thought I had gone too small. But I'm going to have so much fun with this one. Downsizing will be more economic for me too as I'll have to use less of everything. The small gaps at the side will allow much better access for me to fiddle until my heart is content. The slightly smaller depth and height means I can reach over and see what's going on behind the tank. Despite being just over 6 ft this was a problem with the vision because of the bow too..

I do like the white cabinet. They do white and oak and black and oak too.

Now to look for a snazzy heater. What wattage am I looking for in an 85L?

I'm guessing that's 85litre? U will only
Need a 100w heater :) they say 1w per litre

I'm guessing that's 85litre? U will only
Need a 100w heater :) they say 1w per litre

Yeah I was thinking 100W. It's 85 litres. I put an L after the 85 in the title to hopefully clarify as I realised that nowhere did I state the size [emoji23]

Still debating on a filter...they all seem to be pushing £100 just for a 600-800lph.

Yeah I was thinking 100W. It's 85 litres. I put an L after the 85 in the title to hopefully clarify as I realised that nowhere did I state the size [emoji23]

Still debating on a filter...they all seem to be pushing £100 just for a 600-800lph.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the sunsun canisters. There extremely cheap and parts are also cheap. No need to go to fancy, after all it's just a box that pumps water ;)

No need to go to fancy, after all it's just a box that pumps water ;)

Yeah buuuuttt I want one that pumps a decent amount of water, is quiet, easy to clean and prime and will accommodate the inline if necessary all for a reasonable price. I think it's gonna be the eheim Ecco pro 300

Sunsun will do that ;) if u ask me the eheims are louder than most. The aqua one 1200 I have on my 30g is disgustingly loud. I can hear it in the next room when I'm sleeping :s
My mate runs a sunsun 3000 and it's completely silent

Sunsun will do that ;) if u ask me the eheims are louder than most. The aqua one 1200 I have on my 30g is disgustingly loud. I can hear it in the next room when I'm sleeping :s
My mate runs a sunsun 3000 and it's completely silent

Hmmm will look in to these. I did do a quick search for them on Amazon just to check the price. Will have another look. Cheers

I run 3 sun sun cans, I've had no issues, they're extremely quiet and easy to clean and service.

Back
Top Bottom