Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure how that information came about but I'm quite skeptical on the calculation of glut to co2.

I've been lean with micros. I'm due a water change. All in good time. My drop checker fell off the glass again. Hate that thing. Think in of taking it out. Haven't looked at it for three days.

Edit: a knew you were another light fiend ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good question, I'll see if I can find out more details on the calculation.

I know on the light :( Even in the shop when I'm looking for anything else I'll check out the lights to look at the bling..

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Came home to the tank today with cloudy water. Not dead cloudy and it was green. I didn't see the tank yesterday as I'd been fishing for 12ish hours.

This is the first time I've ever seen green water algae in my tank. I decided to do a the checks.

I tested nitrate and phosphate first

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468524345.614390.jpg

With sometimes dosing every day on macros and only doing 30% water changes its safe to say I have an abundance of macros. I noticed that some of my new Anubis leaves are pale and some of the older nymphoides leaves are pale. Downoi looks paler than normal too.

I checked TDS which was 315 so nothing unusual there.

Ph 6.5 which again is normal.

So I remembered that when I added the new canister I didn't move any media across. I new this wouldn't put my fish in danger because of the soil bacteria and amount of plants I have. Plus my stocking is low and ph is generally low enough to render any ammonia harmless.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468524656.941405.jpg

I don't know what you guys think but I do think this is registering some ammonia?

If you believe the masses then this might be enough to trigger green water.

I also need to check my micros. I always fear I'm overdosing micros because the plants only need then in small amounts so I hang back a day or two every now and then.

Just did a 60% water change. Pointed my spraybar more toward the surface.

Have to see how things progress. Plants do seem to have exploded. Ammonia?

Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Green water, algae bloom, you'll want to get a uv sterilizer on there sooner than later to nip it in the bud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Green water, algae bloom, you'll want to get a uv sterilizer on there sooner than later to nip it in the bud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Brookster. I do have a HOB with built in UV. I'll see if it comes back and hook this up if it does.

It's been 18 days since the switch. I'll probably need another 18 to get a stronger bacterial colony in the new filter. Hopefully green water may not be a problem then.

Still dealing with green water. Not installed UV yet. Going to see if it disappears once my bac colony is strong enough to rid of the ammonia that seems to be triggering it.

Getting some hair algae on alternanthera leaves and lots of GSA algae on the glass. More than usual. Co2 bottle is also close to empty so I'm off to buy a replacement tonight. With a lot of messing about with the rate etc it's lasted just over 2 months. Not sure if that is a good return on a soda stream bottle. If it starts to look like it isn't a fire extinguisher may be on the cards if I can find one that fits under the cabinet.

Last night I did another 50% water change, got rid of some algae infested leaves. The pogostemon helferi's old growth has took a slight turn for the worse as its yellowing. This means a lot of propagation and discarding work to get the colour back.

I've started with the easycarbo again just incase the co2 runs out completely. I've been doing lots of reading lately about GSA and phosphates. I am always trying to err on the side of caution as loading with nutrients just seems like pollution to me but I fear I may be undercutting the plants somewhat. I added potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate dry today according to the EI calculator. And I have gone a bit higher this time to see if GSA disappears.

Time will tell. Had it good for about two weeks.....

Good luck! It's sounding a pain(?) / hopeful (?) / a plan (?) but following for the tips to come out. I'm not sure if anyone else gets this, I find planted tanks are either going fairly well or its just gnashing teeth.

Good luck! It's sounding a pain(?) / hopeful (?) / a plan (?) but following for the tips to come out. I'm not sure if anyone else gets this, I find planted tanks are either going fairly well or its just gnashing teeth.

Cheers.

The problem is that when things go wrong the plants sulk and don't particularly look very good then you have to cut and replant and try again. In a higher light tank you just don't get enough notice of when things are about to turn sour.

Still having issues with green water so I put the UV in. I'd have thought the plants would have helped with this but it looks as though they are being overwhelmed. The good thing from one perspective is the green water must have been feeding off the ammonia. I'm expecting my bacteria colony to be almost back on its feet by now.

Lessen learned? Take your bacteria with you!

Did 50% water change last night, installed new co2 cylinder. Been dosing easycarbo and upped my fert game. Plants are due a trim now.

Just got home from work. Green water is gone. Just a bit cloudy now probably from the water change. I'll post a picture when the water clears up. It's been a while.

Just got home from work. Green water is gone. Just a bit cloudy now probably from the water change. I'll post a picture when the water clears up. It's been a while.

Glad to hear that the green water disappeared. UV sterilizers work wonders. Are there going to be any changes to the tank, or is it going to be status quo?

Thanks. I'm getting a little bored I must admit. The tank is a little dated now and the bow front is less appealing. I only have one place to put this which my restrict my next tank choice as I would now like a longer and shallower tank.

How long are 20 longs?

It's just that I've spent so much money on this tank.

The T5 fixture alone cost me £100.

Having said that if I got a smaller tank. My filter would provide more turnover. I'd probably end up with an LED fixture, the soda stream co2 would go further, and I'd have enough space to actually work around the tank.

Hmm you've got me thinking now. I'd probably just take the old one to the tip and try to sell the fixture online.

But what tank to go for?

Are there any manufacturers that do a 20 long complete with a stand?

@ fresh and fishenthusiast if you're there.

Are you tanks rimless?

Thanks

Omg another disappointing aspect to the UK market. 20 gallon longs have to be custom built but they can be picked up in the US at big box chain stores for $30 about £23.

I paid that for a 5 gallon ?. Plus side is I've seen the finnex brands on Amazon. I don't know how recent this is.

Omg another disappointing aspect to the UK market. 20 gallon longs have to be custom built but they can be picked up in the US at big box chain stores for $30 about £23.

I paid that for a 5 gallon ?. Plus side is I've seen the finnex brands on Amazon. I don't know how recent this is.

That sucks. At least you guys have Tropica. It's insanely difficult to find European TC cups in America (you guys have better quality TC plants, and more of a variety). Anyways, maybe look into a 30 gallon if you want to change it up. If not, you could always keep your current tank, and just redo the scape.

Are there any manufacturers that do a 20 long complete with a stand?

@ fresh and fishenthusiast if you're there.

Are you tanks rimless?

Thanks

My tank is not rimless. It's just a simple 30 gallon long. I supply the tank with a Finnex Planted+ 24/7, and it is dimmed to about 30%. I believe Fresh has his dimmed even more on his shrimp tank.

That's too bad the 20g longs are a custom build across the pond. Dimensions in inches are 30x12x12.
Some of the other long tanks (30, 33) are ideal for getting the most out of your lighting. In fact, on my shrimp tank (also a 20 long) I have my Finnex 24/7 dimmed to 10-20% to control the hair algae. I was running a Finnex FugeRay on it but that proved to be too much light for the moss filled, low tech shrimp tank.
One con is that stem plants will need to be trimmed frequently on account of the shallowness.

That sucks. At least you guys have Tropica. It's insanely difficult to find European TC cups in America (you guys have better quality TC plants, and more of a variety). Anyways, maybe look into a 30 gallon if you want to change it up. If not, you could always keep your current tank, and just redo the scape.

My tank is not rimless. It's just a simple 30 gallon long. I supply the tank with a Finnex Planted+ 24/7, and it is dimmed to about 30%. I believe Fresh has his dimmed even more on his shrimp tank.

I never knew we had the better TC plants. I would feel uncomfortable using these though as they are made in a lab but that just a personal thing. suppose it helps the environment right? Maybe...

Ok I'll look in the the 30 gallon tanks they sound good. The tank goes between a wall and a chimney breast so longs may be a tight squeeze. Will measure properly later.

That's too bad the 20g longs are a custom build across the pond. Dimensions in inches are 30x12x12.
Some of the other long tanks (30, 33) are ideal for getting the most out of your lighting. In fact, on my shrimp tank (also a 20 long) I have my Finnex 24/7 dimmed to 10-20% to control the hair algae. I was running a Finnex FugeRay on it but that proved to be too much light for the moss filled, low tech shrimp tank.
One con is that stem plants will need to be trimmed frequently on account of the shallowness.

Thanks for the dimensions and the heads up in the 30 longs.

It's looking unlikely I will be getting a long now ☹️ does this mean that the finnex sizes are made to fit longs as well as 'standard'?

Most of the rimless tanks I've seen here are for reef too. I'll go have a look around this weekend at some glass boxes. Once I choose a tank I'm gonna need help with the right finnex.

Lol - know how you feel, I share your pain :(

Lol - know how you feel, I share your pain :(

Hopefully brexit will open us up to the US market and we get cheaper fishy things ?.

Here is a pic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469773142.548023.jpg

Still a bit cloudy but most of the haze now is due to the misting from the diffuser.

Remember that nymphoides Taiwan I planted a bit back? It's at the top of the tank now and the green is something else. I think it is known for its illuminance.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469773264.289498.jpg

That does look nice. I know I've asked this a thousand times (and this time I will save it somewhere) but what is the substrate again?

Back
Top Bottom