Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I'm taking the tree out I think. Before I went to Iceland I wanted to do something heavily rock related.

After walking through some of the fissures there I new I definitely wanted to do a parting of rock work or some kind of valley.

View attachment 292356

I got this off the tinterweb before I left. I'm going to need some more rock and some more substrate.

Looks real nice, do u have somewhere to get cheap rocks? The pet shops charge a small fortune for them down here.

Not really. It's fossilised wood and it cost me nearly £40 for about 6 pieces about the side of S 500ml bottle

Unlucky, but I guess if that's the look your after then u have to pay for it. I've been meaning to check a few landscaping supply places to see if I can get it cheaper. The lfs sells 25x25cm boxes of rocks for about $50 Aus(25 pound) but to me that seems extremely expensive for such small rocks.

Unlucky, but I guess if that's the look your after then u have to pay for it. I've been meaning to check a few landscaping supply places to see if I can get it cheaper. The lfs sells 25x25cm boxes of rocks for about $50 Aus(25 pound) but to me that seems extremely expensive for such small rocks.

This is exactly it. But I seem to be happiest when I'm working on my aquarium. It sounds sad but I didn't unpack when I got home. The first thing I did was check on the tank then take out my box of petrified wood and start placing them on the wooden floor. I've literally been thinking about it most the time I've been away.

Ordered some more eco complete courtesy of an Xmas Amazon voucher. Thanks Sis!

Hopefully the hardware store will have some surface protection sheets I can cut up and use at substrate supports/separators and I'm also of to the abyss in Stockport for some more fossilised/petrified wood tomorrow.

It's all coming together.

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Not really. It's fossilised wood and it cost me nearly £40 for about 6 pieces about the side of S 500ml bottle

You might be able to find some locations for it online. Harking back to field trip days I remember it being in beach rocks (just got to find the right spot).

Last edited:
Lika dis

View attachment 292347

Nitrates and phosphates

View attachment 292348

View attachment 292349

Algae is worse than originally thought. Do I really believe these tests?

When the only thing I have done is stop dosing ferts. How can I trust these results?

I've never cross-checked the nitrates and phosphates test kits. The readings have made sense in that I clean a filter and results go down but I do wonder, particularly on low readings.

Sounds like the plants have given up on the lower leaves.

This is exactly it. But I seem to be happiest when I'm working on my aquarium. It sounds sad but I didn't unpack when I got home. The first thing I did was check on the tank then take out my box of petrified wood and start placing them on the wooden floor. I've literally been thinking about it most the time I've been away.

Ordered some more eco complete courtesy of an Xmas Amazon voucher. Thanks Sis!

Hopefully the hardware store will have some surface protection sheets I can cut up and use at substrate supports/separators and I'm also of to the abyss in Stockport for some more fossilised/petrified wood tomorrow.

It's all coming together.

I know exactly how u feel ;) I've put together a huge list for this new tank I'm planning but my father in law is dragging his butt with the glass so I'm getting impatient haha. Most days I'm either on here reading stuff or up to my sleeves in water fiddling with things ;)

I've never cross-checked the nitrates and phosphates test kits. The readings have made sense in that I clean a filter and results go down but I do wonder, particularly on low readings.

Sounds like the plants have given up on the lower leaves.

I'm just a stickler for accuracy. If results cannot be relied upon then they are useless to me.

I know you like your test kits though [emoji4]

Yeah the lower leaves are goosed. Soon as the last batch of eco complete comes I'm going to start the new scape.

Got some more petrified wood.

IMG_2395.jpg

Also got my substrate supports and separators which will last a lifetime and only cost a fiver.

IMG_2397.jpg

I saw the plastic egg grate stuff at the LFS. It was £36 for a short about 4 foot by 2.

I get 4 square meters of eBay of a similar ilk for £15.

Also saw this plant. It was tissue culture. Anyone ever seen/heard of it?

IMG_2394.JPG

There is a mini I believe. I had it years ago as a carpet in my 90

All done. Phew!!

I'm pleased with it on the whole. Just need to complete the snagging list tomorrow. Stuff like substrate mixing and floating plants etc.

I'll do a final FTS when it's all ready but here a a few teasers.

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

Back
Top Bottom