Can anyone identify this algea? (pics included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

studmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have two identical fresh water tanks with a self sustaining supply of mollies in them. In one tank a type of algea is starting to grow and I can't seem figure out which kind it is. Can anyone identify which kind it is so I can get started figuring out how to get rid of it? In both tanks I have some floating hornwort. All the levels seem normal. I just added some water before I took the picture so the free floating material isn't normally there. I even bought an algea eater just in case this would help, but it hasn't.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• picture_202_509.jpg
    picture_202_509.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 40
  • picture_200_208.jpg
    picture_200_208.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 35
  • picture_199_186.jpg
    picture_199_186.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 39
i think it's staghorn, same kind i've got in one of my tanks at the moment. it is caused by low or fluctuating CO2, and apparently can also be worsened in the presence of ammonia or low phosphates.

Looks like Diatoms to me. Does it brush off easily and are these new tanks? If so, it's a good chance it's diatoms and will go away on it's own.

Purrbox said:
Looks like Diatoms to me. Does it brush off easily and are these new tanks? If so, it's a good chance it's diatoms and will go away on it's own.

I had to rebuild both tanks due to an green water issue. The algea in question has been growing in only the one tank for about 3 months now, and is slowly taking over all the decorations, and now even the hornwort. My Mollies try to pick at it, and it doesn't seem to come off of the decorations. I can try tomorrow brushing it off. I imagine until I fix the cause it won't leave that tank.

The middle pic looks like BBA. The others look to be staghorn. In most cases CO2 is to blame. Either you don't have enough or it's not stable.

You also have Green Spot Algae, which is normally caused my low PO4.

Back
Top Bottom