Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can Corydoras Or Kuhli Loaches Ruin My Substrate Design?

Hi guys!

So I'm nearing the end of my cycle and am starting to think about my stocking options and I'm considering keeping 6 Panda Corydoras or possibly even Kuhl Loaches among other fish in my 125L (33 Gal) Tank (81cmx50cmx36cm).

As you can see, my tank is mid-heavily planted, but more importantly, I have designed my substrate such that there is a bed of white sand acting as a, admittedly dirty, "river" separating my main substrate (ADA Amazonia II).

My question is this: Will the digging nature of Corydoras or Kuhli Loaches ruin my substrate design? The ADA Amazonia Aquasoil is incredibly loose and even a little bit of digging can create a mess.

I'd really appreciate some insight on this guys, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	312847  

Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hello, never had kuli loaches but if anything like thier cousin the weather loach they like to bury & hide themselves in sand if possible. As for corys they will sift through it for food. It woud be almost impossible to keep a defined edge in aquarium(all fish like to pick in substrate) unless you have some type of border around it. You may consider using white rock instead of sand. Hope this helps!

Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I second white gravel
Old 05-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Corys love to shift through sand for food. I see you have rocks on the outline of the river you made. That can help but i would definitely find some white painted gravel "aquarium safe" if you want to keep it easy on yourself. Kuli loaches will still dive into your substrate and just poke out there wiskers. So i wouldnt reccomend them if you want to keep your substrate somewhat separated.

Tags
ate, cory, corydora, corydoras, design, kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com