Can I build my own fluorescent hood for 2.5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a little 2.5 gallon tank on my desk with java moss in it. It's going to become a little cherry shrimp tank. It currently has a small penn plax led bendy-neck light, but I don't think that will let the moss get enough light.(I don't even know how many watts it is.) I looked at small fluorescent light fixtures at the fish store, but the cheapest was $50! No way.
So my question is this: If I built my own hood and fixed an ordinary twisted fluorescent light bulb into it, would that let my java moss thrive?
And would that be enough to get some crypts growing? I don't need the crypts, but I would like some if it is possible. If not, then big, lush, healthy clusters of java moss would be just as good.

Why don't you just use a desk lamp with a screw in bulb?

That was kinda my question. So an ordinary fluorescent bulb would be enough, huh? :)
Maybe I could get one of those clip lamps from walmart. I could just figure out a way to mount it on the wall by the desk. I still want to have some sort of hood cover, though.

That was kinda my question. So an ordinary fluorescent bulb would be enough, huh? :)
Maybe I could get one of those clip lamps from walmart. I could just figure out a way to mount it on the wall by the desk. I still want to have some sort of hood cover, though.

Yeah, the spiral type. Try to get daylight around 6500k for the best look. I believe you can get a glass cover for that tank, or build one out of window screen supplies.

If you are looking for a hood AND light, you might consider an incandescent hood. Just use the correct size CFL bulbs (narrow not wide). Depending on the specs, you might be able to get a pair of 13w or higher in there. Should be plenty for moss.

If you are looking for a hood AND light, you might consider an incandescent hood. Just use the correct size CFL bulbs (narrow not wide). Depending on the specs, you might be able to get a pair of 13w or higher in there. Should be plenty for moss.

On a 2.5? I dunnnnoo.... ;)

I haven't found any incandescent hoods small enough, and 13 watts sounds like waaaaaaay too much for such a small tank. Wouldn't I need co2 with that many watts?

I haven't found any incandescent hoods small enough, and 13 watts sounds like waaaaaaay too much for such a small tank. Wouldn't I need co2 with that many watts?

Sorry, for some reason I thought it was a 10g.

I like either the desk lamp of clip on work light ideas.

Back
Top Bottom