Can I cut my Anubias Nana?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an AN that I planted about a year ago as a small plant with a few leaves on it. It now has many leaves and has grown quite a bit. The plant has grown straight up and the roots growing down trying to reach the substrate. I have recently seen several pictures of this plant growing horizontally along the bottom. Can I cut this plant at the stem and replant the parts that have grown vertically? Will this kill the plant?

Attachments

• image-837968646.jpg
    image-837968646.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 91
I am worried about damaging the rhizome. I have heard that cutting it diagonally is better and that cutting straight is better. I would like to plant it in the substrate.

FWIW, I cut one BIG anubias up in to 8 smaller plants once... I just took pruning shears and cut it. Didn't seem to have any negative effect, in fact, they grew a lot faster since they were their own plant after that.

mfdrookie516 said:
FWIW, I cut one BIG anubias up in to 8 smaller plants once... I just took pruning shears and cut it. Didn't seem to have any negative effect, in fact, they grew a lot faster since they were their own plant after that.

Good to know. I've had the plant for a while now and didn't want anything bad to happen. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom