Can I cut this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EasternCanuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I am not sure what this plant's name is (sorry plant enthusiasts, I know I am pleading dumb here) but it is growing well and I am wondering if I can cut it and plant the cut portion?

I'll try and post a photo here but it is hard to see the roots in the picture. Basically, the plant seems to have some joints in the stem and at these joints a lot of roots have grown out. I would think that I can cut it at the joint and plant that portion, with the rest of the plant then continuing to grow again.

Can I do that without killing it?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Red Plant 2.jpg
    Red Plant 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 70
That looks like sunset hygro from the pic. If that is indeed what it is you can propagate it by pruning it from the top and replanting the pruned portion. I just use my fingernail to pinch it off. A lot of plants have roots that come out like you are describing.

Thank you. Sorry for the poor picture but I can't upload too large of a file.

I wanted to make sure I could do what you suggest without killing it.

Cheers!

Sunset hygro is pretty hard to kill :cool:. Just prune off the tops and replant them....it'll keep on growing like you didn't do a thing to it.

Good idea, most plants are okay with pruning them, its usually just a matter of degree.(how much)

Back
Top Bottom