Can I get your opinion on the plants I've chosen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
No fish yet, still cycling, but have started planting.

I want a lowish light tank, low tech. I keep reading conflicting information on just about every plant species I have been considering, and I'd like to get some opinions as to whether or not what I am choosing could be appropriate.

Here is what I want to order :
Microsorum Pteropus (fixed to a rock)
Hygrophila Rosae Australis

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green
Anubias Barteri Nana (fixed to a root)
Cryptocoryne Beckettii Petchii (fixed to a rock)
Staurogyne Repens

So....what do you think of my choices?????

Additional info :

Currently in my tank (all doing well)
:
Sagitaria Sublata x 2
Ludwigia cardinalis x 1
Hygrophila siamensis x 1

Here is what I killed
:
Hemianthus callitrichoides (the genius at my lfs claimed this to be low light...er NOT)
Vallisneria (didn't know not to bury the roots -- oops!)

Mate vallisneria roots r ment to be buried well at least that's what everyone I no does including me n mine have been in my tank for over a year n I have to trim them once a week they grow that much

Mate vallisneria roots r ment to be buried well at least that's what everyone I no does including me n mine have been in my tank for over a year n I have to trim them once a week they grow that much

Well, I sure killed mine! :rolleyes: I thought it was because I buried the roots, but maybe they just hated me. Oh well, don't like them enough to try again.

Try buying plants here or on The Planted Tank Forum. Great deals, healthy plants AND best info. You can do a plant dip if you are paranoid. I have not and have gotten amazing deals this way.

Or find a local club. I get free plants every month from my club meets. Granted I joined an amazing club.

Use root tabs ! Easy and will keep your heavy root feeders alive.

"Planting your Vallisneria couldn't be easier. The plants roots should be placed under the substrate and the crown where the leaves grow out should be just above the substrate. Careful gardeners like to use long tweezers for planting but I prefer my fingers. Depending on the tank and what else may be in it I usually either plug the plant into the substrate then pull just enough out so only the roots are underground. Or if there is more room use a sweeping motion through the substrate bringing the plant in a bit off of where I want it to finally sit and sweeping the roots through the gravel bring the plant to the desired location. The roots stay under the substrate to the side of the plant."

Back
Top Bottom