Can I grow HC carpet plant with this tank setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saikit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking forward to setting up a tank with some carpet plants. I have been looking around and I would like to use HC as my carpet plant (very expensive tho! $10 per pot at Big Als).

I need to know if I have sufficient equipment for this set up:

- 10 Gallon
- Fluval 204
- Coralife T5 10,000K 14 watts x 2 = 28 watts (should I use 6,000K?)
- DIY Co2 Diffuser

Substrate (This is what I have right now, but I am willing to purchase different substrate for better results):
- Flourite
- Black sand

If this setup is not sufficient, what do I need to make the HC grow into a good layer of carpet?

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Unfortunately that probably only low to medium low light on a 10 gallon aquarium. If you could add and additional 14 watt bulb you would be much more likely to be successful.

I was succesful with HC only when i got the wattage about 36 watts on my 10 gallon Originaly i had a about 20 watts above the 10 gallon and it mostly melted on me. So no i have a 36 watt PC fixture with 10k bulbs and the HC does ok. Its still slow to grow but at least it isnt melting.

Do you guys have any alternative suggestions that will fit my setup? Keep in mind that I want a nice carpet. In this tank, there won't be a lot of other plants. I want to keep it as minimal as possible.

What do you think of Glosso?

Will Java Moss do the trick (does not look as nice tho)?

Unfortunately to get a nice looking carpet you generally need more light. About the only plants that would be likely to work are a moss or Dwarf Clover.

FWIW, if you don't mind the $10 I think you should try. Remember that high CO2 means happier HC.

Not really unless you are using pressurized CO2 and then thats till hard to acheive now fish on the other hand could be suffocated by extremely high CO2 and i mean extremely

Back
Top Bottom