Can I Grow Jungle Val?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adammorrill

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to know if I could grow jungle val in my 36 gallon tank. I have a t5no dual bulb fixture. It has one 18watt 6700k bulb and one 18watt colormax bulb. I am planning on changing the colormax bulb to another 6700k bulb next week. I also dose micro and macro ferts every other day. I have succesfully grown various crypts and anubias. Do you think I could keep jungle val alive and make it grow in this tank? Also what other plants would be good with this amount of light?
Here is the fixture I have, it is the 30inch one: Aqueon® Freshwater T5 Light Fixture - Lighting & Hoods - Fish - PetSmart

I can grow it perfectly fine in a 10 gallon with a single t8 15 watt bulb. It grew slowly before but now since I started dosing flourish excel it really took off. It sent out 2 runners in a matter of 10 days and it grew 3-4 inches in that time. One of my favorite plants of all time. I'd say go for it. And if you can't find any local then I might be able to get you some ;)

You should be fine. I've grown it with pretty low quality lighting. Literally stock aquarium lighting in the past. Most of the time it grows so good you have to trim it regularly. It spreads very willingly too.

Don't ever use Seachem flourish excel or your Valls will melt to nothing in days like mine did :(

Borderlesscott said:
Don't ever use Seachem flourish excel or your Valls will melt to nothing in days like mine did :(

Mine just seems to be doing better since I added it. I wonder why yours did that?

Don't know, ive tried twice and failed twice - melted both times with Vallisneria Spiralis, wish I had read the Seachem forums before hand, seems to have been a well known problem, to everyone but me.

I have a large stand of Corkscrew Val and use an Excel product. I don't know why it melts some people's val and doesn't others, just be aware it can. I started at 1/2 doses and worked up to full.

Since its in a 10 gallon with shrimp I only dose every 10 days.

Another thing you need to know is that using a liquid carbon that way will cause varying amounts in the water and this too can cause algae troubles. Its like using CO2, you don't run it for a day, shut it off for 9. Liquid carbon is the same, it would be be best to find a safe amount and use it daily. Liquid Carbon only lasts in your water column 24 hours, then its gone, there is no build up. That is why you need to dose daily.

Alright thanks for the responses guys, I have some jungle val but if i want to get anymore i will pm you jackwagon.

adammorrill said:
Alright thanks for the responses guys, I have some jungle val but if i want to get anymore i will pm you jackwagon.

Ok thanks I could include other low light plants to offset the cost.

Back
Top Bottom