Can i grow plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a new tank, and being a complete newbie, all this lighting stuff is very over my head.

I have a 36 Gal Bowfront tank
(30"L x 15"W x 21"H)
With one 8,000k Full Spectrum Daylight (24'') florescent light.
And a 1 1/2'' gravel bed

Can this grow anything?

You can grow anubias , java fern and crypts. That's what I have in my tank. All of them are factory lighting.

reefdiver said:
You can grow anubias , java fern and crypts. That's what I have in my tank. All of them are factory lighting.

And hornwort, jungle val, lloydeia, java moss, and many types of floating plants

Oh really? Thank you so much! I was worried i'd have to start upgrading lights just to grow some anubias in here haha

Do you think Dwarf Sagittaria, and Dwarf Hair grass would be able to survive?

Wild said:
Oh really? Thank you so much! I was worried i'd have to start upgrading lights just to grow some anubias in here haha

Do you think Dwarf Sagittaria, and Dwarf Hair grass would be able to survive?

No, i doubt it. The dwarf sag might, but it'd grow up, not spread and be a grass

Okay thanks =), they were just some of the higher lighting ones i liked.

I should be fine if i stuck with any low light, non-root feeding, easy plants?

Wild said:
Okay thanks =), they were just some of the higher lighting ones i liked.

I should be fine if i stuck with any low light, non-root feeding, easy plants?

Yeah pretty much, I would suggest using sachem flourish.

Thats that bottle fertilizer right? Should i also look at root tabs? or are they not really needed for these plants?

Wild said:
Thats that bottle fertilizer right? Should i also look at root tabs? or are they not really needed for these plants?

Ya, thats a liquid fert. You dont need root tabs for those plants, but if you want to, go for it!

Wild said:

Yep thats the bottle. Root tbs are only needed for plants that are root feeders, so you probably won't need them. I would also suggest using flourish excel as a carbon supplement.

So Flourish, and Flourish Excel are different? And it would be a good idea to dose both?
And that won't cause an unbalance if i don't dose CO2?

Wild said:
So Flourish, and Flourish Excel are different? And it would be a good idea to dose both?
And that won't cause an unbalance if i don't dose CO2?

Yes they are different! Flourish is a liquid fertilizer, and excel is a co2 supplement. You can dose both, just follow the instructions and don't overdose.

Back
Top Bottom