Can I run a 5 gallon planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this 5 gallon tank holding robots :lol: in my room and I'd like to make it a planted tank. How can I tackle this?

Maybe some fish later.... way later.

Check out my 5 gallon photo log for some ideas.

After you've got a better idea what you want to achieve, let us know and we can get to giving specific suggestions.

Yes. That is exactly what I want. But I know nothing. :( How do I get it started?

Are you more interested in the earlier pictures of the tank where it is a hex or the later pics when I had upgraded it to a standard tank? The earlier pics were a medium low light setup (read less plant options but easier to care for) while the later pics are a high light setup (read lots of plant options but more work to care for).

I am more interested in the earlier stages. I'm thinking of just using the tank for aesthetics, no fish at all. [I guess fish tanks only serve aesthetic purposes, but you know what i mean..]

I just want something pretty to look at. Simply. Subtle. Sweet.

I really like this look, 2 weeks after planting it.
download.php

If you can get about 2 WPG over your tank you should be able to achieve something very similar. That would put a 5 gallon at Medium Low light in my experience. The plants in that picture are as follows:
Dwarf Sag
Narrow Leaf Sag
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Petite
Green Hedge (Non Aquatic and should be avoided)

You'd be looking at some light fertilization but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom