Can I Use Gravle As My Substrate For Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
as the title says i'm wondering if i can use just gravel for my substrate or do i have to go and buy special "plant" substrate thanks:D

You should be fine with just gravel depending on the plant, what plants do you have/want?

Gravel is fine, root tabs can be beneficial (or even required) for some plants though. It's a little difficult to plant sometimes, but with some patience, you can make it work ;)

Yes you can use strictly gravel, although finer sized substrate like Pool Filter Sand can better anchor roots of certain plants ... then add gravel to the surface. With Sand and or gravel, it's best to dose ferts buy root tabs or liquid.

You could look to buy plant specific substrate like Eco-complete as it does provide nutrients that gravel doesn't ... however eventually those nutrients are used up so you'd have to add nutrients any way.

im not 100% sure on witch plants i might want. I think I should do some more research but thanks guys for answering my question this is the best place for asking questions

Back
Top Bottom