Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can i use rocks i found to decorate my fish tank?

Today I went hiking to a hill close to my house and at the summit I found a lot of these beautiful rocks. Upon research I found out they are sedimentary rocks. I also found out that there are some sedimentary rocks that can be added such as limestone. But I really wanted to know if there is any rock expert out there that can see the pictures and tell me if they look safe. As of now I have set up my small 5g tank and I added conditioner and I have a filter running and the rocks are inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4137051749.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	41831   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1869215484.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	41832  

Old 06-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Well I'm an earth science teacher and I really can't tell from the picture .. but generally I stay away from most sedimentary rocks for aquariums.
The darker one looks like shale, but it could limestone? First ... scrape the surface of the rocks and then drop some vinegar on the scratched area. If you see it bubble then it's a carbonate .. most likely limestone .. ok for aquariums but it will raise pH slightly.

Stay away from Shale, it tends to break down relatively easily when gets wet since it's mostly clay weakly held together.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #3

just boil it and test for vinegar i use all types of rocks in my aquarium
Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

dont boil rocks, especially sedimentary rocks. While some people do it without issue, there can be air pockets within the rocks that cause them to explode. If the vinegar bubbles, it might raise the pH, if your natural pH is below 7.8. If it's 7.8 or higher, you most likely own't see much of a difference. If you do use them, just rinse them off real good and scrub them with a wire brush to remove any dirt or debris.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
IMO ... Granites, Slates and Quartz river stones are the way to go. They're all tough rocks that do not react chemically with water ... at least not in the timeframe to affect an aquarium.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok thank you guys really much I will test and get back to this thread.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like bluestone.

Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deco, decor, decorate, rock, rocks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com