Can I use this kind of substrate for a planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have set up, a 30 gallon aquarium with just regular decor and fake plants. Now, I am ready to move a step ahead and switch over to live plants.
But my concern is, do I have the right kind of substrate? Currently I have some Carib Sea African Sahara Sand (Black and White Cichlid Mix). I was wondering can I grow live plants in this kind of sand? If not, what kind of substrate do I need to switch too?

What is your tap pH and what is your tank water pH? To see if the substrate is affecting the pH.

Not sure if that particular substrate also adds to the pH of the tank but I would imagine so.

Check into that. High pH doesn't really do you any favors for a planted tank.

Nevermind, (I was curious) it says will not effect pH or hardness! If this is what you have...
https://www.caribsea.com/caribsea_super-naturals.html

You can use sand for a planted tank. Sometimes different types of bottom fish especially, will root around and knock them out of the substrate and you would have to replant them. :)

You can definitely grow plants in sand! A great way to do so is by using Seachem root tabs and Seachem Flourish. With the Flourish you have to be aware of the possible effect on algae growth.

I'm not dissing Aquasoil ( I have it in one tank)
Or EcoComplete or other planted substrates. They work great esp at first. But they do run out of nutrients. You'll still need to add ferts or add new substrate later.

Back
Top Bottom