Can it be done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flushingfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have to admit I knew nothing about planted tanks before coming on this site. Now I am hooked on the photos I have seen. I was wondering what it would take to convert a fish only freshwater community tank to a planted tank? Unfortunately with limited knowledge I have ended up with a lovely neon blue gravel substrate. (thanks to the wife) Can i take this substrate and use it for any kind of a planted application? Any advice will be helpful and my advance thanks to all.

Please read all the stickies. You can plant in that gravel. I have regular gravel in both my tanks and use plant tabs for extra nutrients for the root feeders. If you look at Jchillin's tank you will see he has regular gravel as well.

The biggest consideration is what kind of lighting will you have. Once you know that, we can help you with the rest as far as fertilizing and plant choices.

right now I have the basic crappy lighting that came with the tank. I know that I would have to upgrade to keep plants alive. I just can't help thinking my 20g community will look so much better if it's planted.

Thanks for the info I'll be sure to check it out.

Hi Flushingfish (ps - I used to live in Bayside Queens !). I know exactly how you feel. I hadn't even considered planting my tanks until I saw all the wonderful photos. I have to admit, my tank has a much more serene and realistic look to it now (even with the funky ceramic pieces and the fact that its barebottom !).

JChillin's tanks are low light and were my inspiration for planting my tanks (also low light). I'm still too shy to try and deal with CO2 issues. So have heart - a planted tank is not nearly as intimidating as it might seem :)

All the best !

From the reading I've done I think low light is the way I'll start. I don't want to mess with CO2 injection systems and all the rest yet.
I think a little more research into lights and plants and I will be on my way to saying goodbye to the God awful fake purple plant my wife put in there.

if your formerly from Bayside then you must know the bunch at Fish Town USA on 196th street and Northern Blvd. Great store IMO.

BTW what lighting qualifies as low light?

Anything from 1 wpg to 2 wpg is low light. Closer you get to 2 the more plant choices you have. Right now as long as you have a flouresecent light you could try anubias, crypts, Java moss and java ferns. Since you are in Flushing, Aquarium Adventure in Carl Place out by Roosevelt Field has a decent selection of plants.

Rich

Since Joannde tossed me in as an example (thanks Joannde), I figured I may as well chime in. I have 1.5wpg and I can so without a doubt that the results I've gotten out of the set up is nothing short of amazing. Low-light is not a bad way to start.

if your formerly from Bayside then you must know the bunch at Fish Town USA on 196th street and Northern Blvd. Great store IMO.

I have been there several times and have never been disappointed. My GBR's are from there.

Back
Top Bottom