Can low light plants grow in medium grain gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have natural coloured gravel. 3mm to 6mm grain size. And a low led light. Will low light plants be able to grow and thrive? If so, which plants?
And how often will I need to root tab?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes. Just put some diy root tabs or Api tabs. And keep the tank well fertilized. Watch for algae. The gravel is good because the plants roots can get good circulation and nutrition.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Java fern. Banana plants. Java moss. (Attach to a rock) water sprite. Water wisteria.

Thank you very much. I had a few more questions...

1. How often do I put in root tabs?
2. Do I dig root tabs near plants?
3. What is keeping tank well fertilized?
4. Does it make a huge difference if I add better substrate than gravel, thats made for plants?

Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I had a few more questions...

1. How often do I put in root tabs?
2. Do I dig root tabs near plants?
3. What is keeping tank well fertilized?
4. Does it make a huge difference if I add better substrate than gravel, thats made for plants?

Thanks again.

1. Good rule its at least 2 a year.
2. Put them even around the tank. Like every couple of inches add one.
3. Add seachem plant products. Api (can't remember exact name). And flourish.
4. Yes. If you get substrate just for plants they tend to do a lot better. It gives them more nutrients so they don't starve.

Thanks for the response. I may change substrate to caribsea floramax.

I use sand with root tabs. I love Crypts, so I add them every 4 months.

I spread out the Tabs about every 4-6" and put them next to my plant, doesn't need to be directly under.

In Gravel, you need to bury them all the way to the bottom so that you don't get bits of fertilizer up in your water column. It's easier in sand to make sure they stay buried. But you do want to push them down as deep as you can.

If you're only doing Anubias and Java fern you don't need root tabs as they don't get planted.

Weekly partial water changes
Afterwards
I use liquid ferts :

1x weekly
API LeafZone
Flourish comprehensive

Daily to weekly
Flourish excel or Glut

3-4 months or as needed DIY Root Tabs.

Wow thanks very much for the reply.
So anubias and java fern just need low light only? No root tabs ever?

Also, is this led light ok, as its what I have:
http://www.amazon.com/BeamsWork-Lumen-Aquarium-Fixture-96x0-5W/dp/B00EN2GA9Q

I still dont know if I should change my substrate or not. I have (still new in bag) Serenity natural course gravel. 3mm to 6mm.

The tank was meant for cichlid tank, that's why I bought all this stuff. But I am thinking I want to go planted now and didn't know if my equipment and substrate would be suitable. Its all still new, but I have bought them now.

May be better to buy another small tank and do planted properly.

The light may grow some plants, but FYI 10,000K are usually for Saltwater tanks and the Actinic is useless for planted. This may look too "cold" as it's into the blue spectrum strongly.

I aim for 6,500K or near that for my tanks. That is the spectrum closest to natural sunlight. Not too blue or too red.

If you are aiming to start with Anubias and Java ferns you will not need root tabs or special substrate. They get tied or glued to rocks or wood.

Liquid ferts will be appreciated. But tabs aren't needed.

If you think you may want to grow some Crypts or stem plants , then you may want to look into sand or a plant substrate. Gravel can be used and I have, but I find it annoying. I prefer my sand tanks now.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425507723.348306.jpg

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I am going to start a small nano planted tank and do it properly.

Your tank looks really nice. I can't see any heaters or filters. What are the tank specs and equipment?
Thanks.

I use sand with root tabs. I love Crypts, so I add them every 4 months.

I spread out the Tabs about every 4-6" and put them next to my plant, doesn't need to be directly under.

In Gravel, you need to bury them all the way to the bottom so that you don't get bits of fertilizer up in your water column. It's easier in sand to make sure they stay buried. But you do want to push them down as deep as you can.

If you're only doing Anubias and Java fern you don't need root tabs as they don't get planted.

Weekly partial water changes
Afterwards
I use liquid ferts :

1x weekly
API LeafZone
Flourish comprehensive

Daily to weekly
Flourish excel or Glut

3-4 months or as needed DIY Root Tabs.

+1 great response.