Can Macro and Micro Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjustinmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In their liquid forms be stored in the same container for a week? That would be easier for
my tank-sitter to deal with while I'm away.
Thanks

Ferts

In their liquid forms be stored in the same container for a week? That would be easier for
my tank-sitter to deal with while I'm away.
Thanks

Hello g...

Your sitter doesn't need to be concerned with the macro (bulk) fertilizers. The best kind of long term, macro ferts are provided by your fish. The fish simply need to be feed a balanced diet regularly.

An easy way to dose the micro ferts, "trace elements", is to use a liquid. The sitter would only need to dose those when the tank needs to be topped off due to evaporation, usually once per week or during the weekly water change. Just dose according to the container instructions and add that amount to the replacement water.

Pretty simple.

B

If you are injecting CO2 and using a good amount of light, you will easily deplete the macronutrients provided by fish.

To answer your question, no, you should not put them in one container. Phosphates particularly will cause issues with many of the metals found in micro-mixes, particularly iron. This will cause many of your ferts to precipitate out of solution.

aqua_chem said:
If you are injecting CO2 and using a good amount of light, you will easily deplete the macronutrients provided by fish.

To answer your question, no, you should not put them in one container. Phosphates particularly will cause issues with many of the metals found in micro-mixes, particularly iron. This will cause many of your ferts to precipitate out of solution.

Thanks for your input. It is an excel tank. Think I'll just set up the auto feeder, shorten the lighting period and take my chances.
Gregg

Thanks for your input. It is an excel tank. Think I'll just set up the auto feeder, shorten the lighting period and take my chances.
Gregg

When I go on buisness trips, I put my ferts (dry) in jello cups and label them as to what tank and what day they need to be added. My wife and kids have never had a problem with keeping the ferts in the tanks this way.

Back
Top Bottom