Can plants bring down Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey JC i just finally got around to testing my filtered water, well i should say myold filtered water system, there is actually 5.0 nitrate in it. I just got a new filter system cause i guess they stopped making filiters for mine. I am going to check my new one out soon, so if i have nitrate in my filtered water, should i add declor. to get rid of it?

Let me know.

No, dechlor gets rid of chlorine and chloromies, two additives many cities add to their water to kill bacteria.

NO3 (Nitrate) is a different problem. you can get products that absorb nitrates but these are not genrerally reccomened-the chemicals they use may cause more harm then good.

Adding plants to the tank will address the nitrate issue if your new filter doesn't change your results. As BlazerFRS said, adding those nitrate removing chemicals or media can cause more harm than good, especially with a planted tank.

Actually, SeaChem Prime has the ability to neutralize nitrates, but you have to use more than the 1mL per 10 gallons dose to do so. I think its 2-3 times normal dose...which also detoxify's heavy metals.

I use nitra zorb in my big tank for a little while, i think its actually still in my canister filiter pumping through, but it work for about a week and stop. Anyone else use it and have luck no luck?

I was also reading that on my prime bottle, maybe ill add it to the new water before i even add it in my tank.

Ok so update, i ended up emptying all the water out of my 10 gallon qt tank and putting all new water in. When i did that i tested right after and found that the level was now at 10 instead of like 120. I'm guessing thats cause the flitered water must have some nitrate in it before it even hits my tanks, yes no maybe? I also did about a 50% water change on my big tank and instead of the nitrates at 120 there down to about 40, so i guess my next question is what do i do from here, i think i need to bring the nitrates down some how specially if i got an average of about 10 ppm per 10 gallons of water?

Also should i add some new fish to keep in the qt tank right away to keep it up and going, im thinking about just buying a couple small fish like neons for it just to keep the cycle in check, i have to wait to get a heater seeing where i broke mine in this process, but i guess my question is should i add new fish right away even with a 10ppm nitrate to keep it going. I plan on leaving this tank up and running all the time for new fish and a diease tank?

Franco7 said:
I use nitra zorb in my big tank for a little while, i think its actually still in my canister filiter pumping through, but it work for about a week and stop. Anyone else use it and have luck no luck?

I was also reading that on my prime bottle, maybe ill add it to the new water before i even add it in my tank.

Nitra zorb only works for a while, then has to be recharged. You will need to remove it and place it back into the bottle it came in to recharge it. I personally don't use chemical products like this. Could possibly cause problems in the long run.

While 10ppm from the tap isn't ideal, it's livable. You'll just need to do more frequent water changes to keep your Nitrates in the tank where they belong to make up for the fact that you are always adding a little back in each time you change your water.

what if doing water changes doesn't cut it, i been doing water changes once a week and the levels never move. I take out 15 gallons a week, whats the deal? I have been having this problem in both my tanks for months now? i have tryed putting plants in my 10 doing water changes, starving my fish, and like i said i just recently drained 25 gallons out of my 55 and it brought it down to 30 instead of 120, and i did a complete drfain of my 10 and i got it at about 10, should i do anther bug change to my big tank to get it lower, what do you guys think?

Since it's down to 30, do another 25-30G PWC to try to get it closer to the 10 like in the other tank. When I do my PWC's, it's usually about 20, then after the PWC is just under 10 or at 10. if you can get it down to 10-15, you are in good shape. Some say up to 40 is ok, but I like keeping mine under 20. Getting it below 10 isn't always easy if the nitrates in the tap is close to that.

Right, that strikes my next question, but i think i'm going to make a new topic on it cause this one is getting long and its kinda off this subject. I'ts about using tap water and using the python siphion and fill tool.

Thanks for all the help, keep responses coming as i will check back and fourth for more.

Back
Top Bottom