Can some1 plz help ID plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

Was wondering if some1 could plz ID my plants. A magnified copy of the smaller plants is in the post below.

Also, my tank is around 20 gallons, and I have about 22W of lighting. Those 2 larger plants are somewhat weedlike, so I'm not worried about their growth. But I was wondering if those species of smaller plants would be able to propagate more rapidly in a "carpeting" effect, and would that mean more intense lighting/CO2?

Thanks

Attachments

• plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 80
The larger ones are Valiseneria and Egreria (Anacharis), the one smaller grass-like one could be a sagittaria, but it is awfully small and sparse to tell.

I think the guy at the LFS sold it (grass like one) as a non-specific "hairgrass".

Currently, my stock hood offers slightly more than 1wpg... is this level too low for this hairgrass to propagate properly? Would another substrate assist in its development? (I'm hoping for a carpeting effect)

the grassy stuff looks a lot like Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae. The taller stuff in the foreground resembles Didiplis diandra.

You'll need more than 1 wpg of light to successfully propagate Lilaeopsis spp. as a carpet plant. D. diandra also requires a minimum of 2-3 wpg to succeed. It also benefits from CO2 supplementation. The good news is that an addtional 20 watts of light shouldn't cost too much nor should a DIY CO2 setup :)

1 watt per gallon isn't really enough light to grow anything. The egeria, (anacharis, elodea) will just rot in the substrate from the bottom up, the Vallisneria, (the tall grass like plants) will pretty much just stay the way it is. You would be lucky if it grew much over the next few months. The Didiplis or whatever it may be will not last long, and the lilaeopsis, (the short grass like plant) will shrivel up to nothing. You do not have any hairgrass specie that I can see.

What is that broad leaf plant in the rear right corner? Is it real or fake? If it is real, it is not a true aquatic plant and will not last very long underwater.

You need 2 to 3 watts per gallon of flourescent light. If you stay with what you have, your best bet is Anubias, water ferns, and some Cryptocorynes. They will still grow very slowly under that low of light, and would do much better with more light, but they will survive better than what you have now.

Back
Top Bottom