Can someone ID this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biomanz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The guy at the LFS "guessed" it was a "Drummer Fur," and a Google search didn't show anything. Even tried comparing it to random images in vain.

So here it is...it's young and looks badly damaged but it was the only one in the same tank as another plant with an ID tag so I got it to give it a try. There are a couple healthy green stalks in the middle so I'd assume it's not dead.

200906090002.jpg

They do better tied to a rock or driftwood, make sure the rhizome is out of the substrate. Some of the dieing leaves will produce plantlets I can't tell for sure if those will or not.

its not in the substrate but its in the pot he bought it. just tie them to the rock or super glue them and they should be fine. make sure you leave the lights on 8-10 hours a day.

Wow, the fish guy got it totally wrong, or he gotta pronunciate much better!
I'm leaving them in the pots for a couple days just to see if my crays devour them. So far they haven't, save for the bigger male munching on this Java once in a while, but still looking fine. Maybe it's the rotting leaves that are attracting it..

Anyway, thanks for the help, all!

On second thought, I'm gonna take it out the pot either tonight or tomorrow. I have a feeling the store planted it wrong with the rhizome in the pot.

Well I took it out the pot last night...and the roots grew out and wrapped onto themselves and the rhizomes. Half were dead - rhizomes were brown and so the leaves were browning from the bottom. I tied the rest onto a driftwood, just one healthy and two tiny ones, but the crays finished them off, alas :(, though they left my Kompact alone. Might try another healthy fern, if my crays thought mine were rotting, but likely I'll stick with buried plants.

mgamer, Is it safe to superglue a plant in place? I'd imagine superglue would be toxic.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I had an unidentified plant awhile back. You can check it out here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/possible-non-aquatic-id-pics-113776.html
The problem is, plants aren't cared for at the average LFS as well as fish are. When you buy a fish you know what your getting, but plants can be a toss up for the uninformed buyer.

Last edited:
Well I took it out the pot last night...and the roots grew out and wrapped onto themselves and the rhizomes. Half were dead - rhizomes were brown and so the leaves were browning from the bottom. I tied the rest onto a driftwood, just one healthy and two tiny ones, but the crays finished them off, alas :(, though they left my Kompact alone. Might try another healthy fern, if my crays thought mine were rotting, but likely I'll stick with buried plants.

If your LFS has poor plant stock, ask around on the forums(Aquarium Advice, Fantasy Reef, Planted Tank, etc). I know I have some narrow leaf java fern I can ship you, but I'm sure you'd rather have lace java fern which many people also have.

mgamer, Is it safe to superglue a plant in place? I'd imagine superglue would be toxic.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I had an unidentified plant awhile back. You can check it out here.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/possible-non-aquatic-id-pics-113776.html
The problem is, plants aren't cared for at the average LFS as well as fish are. When you buy a fish you know what your getting, but plants can be a toss up for the uninformed buyer.

Yes its safe to superglue it to a rock, although fishing line, thread, or a rubber band are easier IMO. Superglue is often used in coral fragging.

Back
Top Bottom